PIP stopped because I didn't attend the appointment I didn't know I had — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP stopped because I didn't attend the appointment I didn't know I had

julesok18
julesok18 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi

I have suffered from bi polar  for most of my life.

I was told today that my pip has ended because I didn't attend a medical on 15th November 2018.. I have received so many letters asking me to attend all these medicals ..ESA is one,that I completely have no  recollection of ever receiving this letter . I have been unwell. I called them  about this and they said they would put in a mandatory decision and that I will hear from them by 8th January. 

Will my money still be stopped?

Comments

• julesok18
    julesok18 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Sorry for the ramble..I am not well :-/ 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @julesok18 and a very warm welcome to the community. Nothing rambling in your post at all :smile: and I am just sorry you're facing such difficulties.
    Not a benefits advisor, I can't answer your question myself but I am going to 'flag' your post for the attention of folks who know more about these things than I do and hopefully they will get back to you soon.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    @JennysDad
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    julesok18 said:
    Hi

I have suffered from bi polar  for most of my life.

I was told today that my pip has ended because I didn't attend a medical on 15th November 2018.

Will my money still be stopped?
    Yes your PIP money will stop - the claim has been closed down.

You have two choices now, ask the DWP to look at their decision again or put in a new PIP claim.

If you ask them to look at the decision you are going to have to convince the DWP that on the balance of probability you never received the letter telling you about the assessment. To do that try to show that other post is also 'lost' - you have a history of missing post.

The DWP work on the basis that if their records show it as being sent they are entitled to assume that it will be delivered.
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    The assessment centres often send SMS texts re appointment dates and ring in advance to check someone is still attending that day.
    Does the DWP have an up to date phone number/numbers for you?

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Fetlock said:
    The assessment centres often send SMS texts re appointment dates and ring in advance to check someone is still attending that day.
    Does the DWP have an up to date phone number/numbers for you? 
    They can only do that if you choose to tell them your telephone numbers.
    You are not required or obliged to give out this information to anybody including any government department. All they had for me was my address as I expect a written letter in all cases as evidence of what they have said.

There is a lot of other information for which the DWP could well ask for but you are not required to comply.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Fetlock said:
     and ring in advance to check someone is still attending that day.
    I've been to 4 face to face assessments at different centres and not once have i ever received a call like this to check i'm still attending. They send a text message to remind you of the assessment but there's certainly no phone call.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.