Husband had heart attack, what should we be claiming while he's unwell? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Husband had heart attack, what should we be claiming while he's unwell?

Options
Doodles
Doodles Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
I wonder if anyone can help me. We have never claimed benefits as up until this heart attack my husband had had good health. My husband had a heart attack and suffered acute heart failure, just over 2 weeks ago. He is out of hospital but he's unable to work for the next few months as he will also need a bypass. I'm not sure if we have to claim, or he has to claim ESA contribution allowance and Universal Credit or just claim universal credit. HE has a sick note from the hospital. It also says on the website that Universal credit can't be backdated but his sick note is from 9th of November. It has also took past few days since he's been discharged to find out what we need to claim. If anyone can advise us ..please

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Doodles, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack: it must be a tough time for you both, and I hope we can help. We have some experienced members and benefits advisors here on the community who will hopefully be in touch soon and able to advise. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your husband and hope he feels better soon.

As he was working then SSP should be payable for 28 weeks from his employer before he can claim Contributions based ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Doodles
    Options
    I forgot to say he is self employed and not entitled to SSP.  
     I am not working either. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You need to check what's in your area, if it's a full UC area then it will be this you'll need to claim, as a couple.

It certain circumstances it can be backdated 1 month but you'll need to have very good reasons why it wasn't claimed before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Doodles
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help.
    We are in a UC area. I have to apply online as a couple and we have to attend an interview at jobcentre. He is still not in good health so that is unfair. I have heard they don't like you noto attending interviews.  Will do our best . 

• poppy123456
    Options
    He will need to take a fit note from his GP to start the limited capability for work process.
  • Doodles
    Options
    Thank you. We have a fit note from hospital and have made an appointment with his  GP for more tablets and a longer fit note. 
    I sat for what seemed like hours doing the UC application. It really worries me that they will make me look for work. I am 63 and only left my job at the end of October as it was too much. My husband was self employed and it was our only income. He had always been in good health and the heart attack and diagnosis is devastating. I really need to be at home with him. It is making me so anxious and depressed with no money whatsoever coming in and my husband being ill. He is very down also as it seems we will lose all we have worked for.
    Will they make me look for work ??
    We have no experience of any of this. Any advice is so appreciated. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For your husband a fit note doesn't automatically give him limited capability for work (LCW). Claiming UC means you'll both be signing a claimant commitment. When you both go to your local job centre for your first appointment your husband should explain his condition to your work coach. How many hours he's expected to do each week will be up to your work coach. Some will change the commitments to less hours but few will turn them off completely.

For yourself, unless your husband claims either DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living then you won't be able to claim the carers element for your commitments to be turned off. This means you'll be expected to look for work. If you're looking after your husband because of his health then maybe speak to your work coach at the appointment.

This link explains the UC claimant commitment.

• Doodles
    Options
    He has heart failure and also waiting for a triple by pass
     His cardiologist has said he cannot return to work for at least 6 months.  So hopefully he should qualify for The LCW. We have applied for PIPHONE but don't know if we will qualify.  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Like i said LCW isn't automatically given. Eventually he'll be sent a work capability assessment form. This will need to be filled in and returned along with all his evidence about how his conditions affect him. Once these are returned he'll most likely be sent for a work capability assessment (most are) where he'll be asked questions about how his conditions affect his ability to do any type of work. Once the assessment is complete a report will be returned to DWP and then a decision maker will make a decision. The decision could be LCW, LCWRA or fit for work but this process can take several months.

For PIP, you must have had the condition for 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

Good luck.
  • Doodles
    Options
    Complete nightmare. ....
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, UC really is.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.