Should I tell PIP about my worsening health? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I tell PIP about my worsening health?

Options
Andrea1
Andrea1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I would like some advise please, I have suffered from cervical and lumbar spondylosis for over 20 years due to a works injury which I could cope with, Up until 18 month ago, I was on the lower component for care indefinitely, as well as having asthma, chronic tenosynovitis, COPD.  When I went for my PIP assessment due to my problems etc, I received 11 points which made me 1 point away from the enhanced, however when I spoke to welfare rights he advised me that he thought they were generous due to working full time.  I received 2 points for mobility despite informing them I could only walk up to 50 metres, he assessed me at 100 and no more than 200.  At the time I didn't realise the that the pain I was now experiencing was due to a bulging disc at L1 S1 as well as L4.  I have had a spinal injection which hasn't worked and have been on the sick for the las 2 1/2 month, due to the chronic everyday pain this has also caused depression.  I have been attending a pain clinic for several months now as well as having counselling sessions.  I have been to see the spinal surgeon today and states that there is nothing he can do for my condition and just to continue with the pain clinic, do you think it would be worth contacting PIP for worsening health or are they likely to potentially with draw the PIP I already have.  When I spoke to Occupational health they advised me to either leave through ill health or reduce my work days, however as I am the only wage in my house, what experience has other people had.  

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andrea1, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm truly sorry to hear of all you've been coping with lately. Whilst as I'm sure you can appreciate there's no guarantee of any particular PIP outcome, we have some friendly and experienced members here on the community who I'm sure will be along to advise soon. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A worsening of condition doesn't mean you'll score more points for a higher award. Reporting a change of circumstances means they will look at the whole award again and no one on an internet forum can tell you whether you risk losing everything you already have. You really need expert advice before reporting any change of circumstances. Speak to your local welfare rights for further advice.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andrea1
    Options
    Thank you for your response.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on @Andrea1, and we'll advise where we can.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is always a risk telling DWP about a worsening condition as this probably will trigger a new f2f.  Though if your PIP were reduced you could appeal.  Maybe better to wait until your next review.

Osteopathy might help your back but it's not cheap and I'm not sure if it's available on NHS.  You might find some exercises online that could help.  Are you taking painkillers?  I take up to 600mg gabapentin 3 times a day and up to 8 30/500 co-codamol a day for my bulging discs.
  • Andrea1
    Options
    Hello Matilda, thank you, I take tramadol slow release twice per day, 2 different anti depressants, folic, paracetamol, couldn't get away with the gabapentin, didn't agree with me, felt as if I was on a different planet, I do a lot of exercises as I get these from physio at my pain management clinic
  • Andrea1
    Options
    Since the above, and attending the pain management clinic and starting the gym through the NHS as part of my rehabilitation, my symptoms have now worsened, I continue to have severe pain at the bottom of my spine, numbness in my legs down into my calfs and continued pins and needles in my feet, the physio's have now indicated that I may have stenosis in my spine, looking at the symptoms of this and especially the problems I have had with cervical and lumbar spondylosis for 20+ years after an injury at work, this makes sense and it maybe that I am now going to get the help I need, they have done more for me then the information I have received from consultants, thank you south Tyneside MSK team
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Andrea1

PIP is awarded for how your symptoms affect your daily living and mobility, not for the symptoms themselves.  Take a look at the list of descriptors on the Disability Rights UK site, PIP section.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.