Issues with backdated housing benefit and threatened with eviction — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Issues with backdated housing benefit and threatened with eviction

shell1972
shell1972 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi i won my ESA APPEAL i got payment backdated, but now housing benfit are telling me that i am not entilteled to backdated housing benfit for 5 months, so i am over 1000 rent arrears, but esa said i was still entilted to housing benfit too, sorry about spelling, please can some one help. i am been threatened with evction now 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'd advise a visit to your local CAB because it's extremely difficult to give advice without knowing the full details of your circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shell1972
    shell1972 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thank you for advice but i cant get out the house thank you 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shell1972 and a warm welcome to you. Very sorry to hear of your difficulties. Have you tried calling the Scope Helpline? It's available during office hours, I think, and free on 0808 800 3333.
    Nothing to lose by giving it a try :smile:
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    @JennysDad
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shell1972, and a warm welcome to the community!

How are you doing? Do let us know some more about your situation and we'll do our best to advise.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shell1972

If you are a social housing tenant and 'threatening eviction' was this through a Notice of Seeking Possession (NOSP)? If so please start engaging with your landlord. The earlier you do this the easier it will be to avoid eviction, and they may be able to assist you in trying to sort out the housing benefit.

Yes you may need to start a payment agreement to start reducing your rent arrears until the housing benefit is sorted but your home will be safe.

There is nothing stopping you seeking independent advice, but keeping your home should be your first priorty. I can strongly recommend the scope help line.

I agree with @poppy123456 an open forum like this is not the best place to seek advice as there are so many variables, type of tenancy, landlord, how far down the eviction route they are etc.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.