Hello World! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello World!

Options
g1gop
g1gop Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi All,My name is Alan.
I am disabled and have joined this community to get some help and advice so that I can hopefully improve my quality of life.
I know I am not alone (but  when you are in so much pain or so fatigued it feels it).
Alan

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @g1gop

Good Morning & Welcome ??

It’s great ? to meet you today???

We have got lots of info & advice on here for you????

There are many members who you can “meet & greet”☃️

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with today????

• g1gop
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    Thank you for the welcome.
    Advice I am after is about loosing weight, coping with the stress of things like EESA. Trying to get fitter!
    Unfortunately due to an adenoma, my body was flooded with very high levels of adrenaline, cortisol and aldosterone (around 600%!). That has been removed but the damage to my body of being in 'fight flight mode' for around 20 years is huge.
    I manage and although I have had to try to come to terms with going from a workaholic to unable to do much (my wife helps me wash and dress. By the time I have done that I am exhausted).
    I suppose that what I need is not people to do it for me, but to help me do it for myself. Before I used to 'eat stress for breakfast'. Now I cannot handle stress. Physically that is. I do not produce enough chemicals for my body to react to stress(the whole body is either worn out, or as deaf as a post). So things like an EESA reassessment out of the blue causes me to be ill for many days.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @g1gop Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

I understand the issues that you have regarding fitness and health.

I had an addiction history and after coming off .  Became clean   Lost a lot of muscle weakness, weight and also did not want to remain the same. Needed to change.

Through my support worker I had. She contacted The Wellbeing service , Community Health Unit part of the Council.

What you get is a person who is assigned to you. At your own pace gives you options, goals and aims to look at . A whole range of lifestyle options.

There are not there to run your life, do therapy, counselling. Will sign post you to what you want or need for a healthy lifestyle.

If this is what you want then it usually runs for a period of time and you can decide yes or no to continue.

One good thing is this does change you look at life.  In my case did and completed health qualifications through the well being service.

Hope that helps.

As for your benefits could be worth speaking to CAB your local office. Good with form filling in and also could help with anything else you may require or need.

We are a friendly, supportive community. Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know.

Pleasure to meet you

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • g1gop
    Options
    "Through my support worker I had. She contacted The Wellbeing service , Community Health Unit part of the Council."
    How do I get this service please?
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @g1gop

No probs it’s my Pleasure ??

Here’s some info for you below on “Losing Weight”

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/how-your-gp-can-help-you-lose-weight/

I have also provided some info below on “ESA”

• steve51
    Options
    Hi @g1gop

Can you please let me know what area do you currently live in????

I will then have a good look ? for you.

Do you also need help with your esa ?????
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @g1gop Thanks in response to your enquiry.  About wellbeing service look either on your local council website. Or speak to your council by phone.

My council issue a booklet every year listing council services have you the same.

Ask for wellbeing for life.  Also have a look at NHS  website as well.

Speak to your Doctor another suggestion many surgeries now have information on this service.

Hope that helps.  Please ask any thing else.

Apologise late reply if you tag my name as I have done yours I can help and advise you. I am one of the team of community champions. As is @steve51

We guide and help new members on the website with anything they need to know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • g1gop
    Options
    Hi, Thank you both for your replies. Had a couple of days of 'not so good' lol.
    I will look on the local council website and see my Dr.
    By the time (like now) I have got up, washed and dressed(with the help of my carer/wife), I am exhausted. I also sound like a 60 a day smoker, yet never smoked! lol
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi@g1gop

I hope that you are still ????

Yes please have a good look ???

That’s Good it’s a good idea ? ????

If you can to get up & about depending on your situation.

Please please let me know if I can help you further?????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @g1gop, and a warm welcome to the community!

Really glad to see that you've connected with and had a chat with some of our other community members. If we can be of any assistance, please do let us know.
  • zonnie
    zonnie Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    Options
    Hi yes it's really nice k owing you can chat and interact as sometimes is really lonely on days you can't get about
    Have a good day 

Brightness