Turned down not a single point — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turned down not a single point

philipcarson
philipcarson Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I applied for pip because I had a benign brain tumour, epilepsy and high blood pressure and never got a single point wife was with me and answered most of the questions on my behalf I called the pip and am taking it as far as I can not giving up this time

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that @philipcarson, it must have been really disheartening to hear that. Good to hear that you're appealing. Scope's guidance on DWP appeals may help you to get started.

https://youtu.be/4sOsiEFo-Ck
  • philipcarson
    I think the assessor gave me some points but pip didn't award them but I'm going to fight it all the way 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the assessor gave me some points but pip didn't award them but I'm going to fight it all the way 
    The assessor doesn't give any points, they only recommend them. You also need at least 8 points for an award. Mandatory Reconsideration comes first then Tribunal if that fails and most MR's do.

It's also worth remembering that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Contact welfare rights or a law centre near you for further help and advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • philipcarson
    I'm not fit to work due to these disabilities doctor said I'm not able for work
  • Peter12345
    Peter12345 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    Hi Philip,  it's proper gut wrenching to hear that news. 
    You have the right attitude though.  

I just wanted to wish you well and success in everything you do. 

• poppy123456
    PIP has nothing to do with not being able to work. People claim PIP and work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is awarded for how your conditions affect your mobility and daily living not for the conditions themselves.  Your disabilities have to fit relevant descriptors.  Take a look at Disabilty Rights site PIP section.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    According to another poster on here, they sought advice from the CAB and were told that they were lucky to get the points they did as they were working!

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/52938/should-i-tell-pip-about-my-worsening-health#latest
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    Yadnad said:
    According to another poster on here, they sought advice from the CAB and were told that they were lucky to get the points they did as they were working!

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/52938/should-i-tell-pip-about-my-worsening-health#latest
    People do work and claim PIP successfully! However, it can go against you if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim.

It wasn't CAB they spoke to, it was welfare rights... read the thread again to make sure i wasn't reading it wrong.

Regardless of that, PIP has nothing to do with not being able to work.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you are right - told you - I have senior moments - most confusing.

It worries me that the particular Welfare Rights agency is stating this to their clients.
  • poppy123456
    Yadnad said:
    Yes you are right - told you - I have senior moments - most confusing.

It worries me that the particular Welfare Rights agency is stating this to their clients.
    Why does it worry you? You have no idea of the reasons for the other persons claim. Sometimes working and claiming a disability benefit can go against you but it really depends on the reasons for a claim and as no one here knows anything about the case, it's impossible to comment further.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.