Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

Leodis
Leodis Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
About four years ago i got attacked by home invasion and since then iv lived like a hermit. I was awarded pip at standard rate living allowence with the money from pip I bought a security gate and had my garden fenced off and last year I went outside to cut a tree back and blacked out having a panic attack and caught my armpit on a nail and nearly severed my arm off and my neighbor called an ambulance.. I had my rievew pip assesment in my home and I stated that I can only get to places in taxis due to having panic attacks on public transport. She asked me what I'd do if the taxi pulled up in an empty square and I had to find the place. I told her that I'd tell him to take me home. Will I have scored any points for this.?. She also asked me what would happen if I found myself in the freezer shop with my auntie and it was full of ppl I don't know. I said I'd have a massive panic attack and would barge past everyone to run home and once home would self harm. I do self harm when I feel threatened and iv got cuts on my arm which I showed the assessor. I tried to tell her about the attack and other things but she wouldn't listen and just typed away. I showed her the sanitry towels for my incontinence and the blister packs which my auntie sorts my meds in. I told her due to blackouts and no feeling in my left hand when i spilt hot oil on it i couldnt feel it and just saw a massive blister so i can only eat microwave meals. She asked me if I'd ever gone to the doctors or anything about the blackouts and I have and the doc said it was due to been hit in the head with a hammer so many times and an MRI scan would put me in a panic attack... Iv even threatened suicide to get an mri scan and was told to wait overnight in a room then released in the morning. but she was rushing me so my answer to her question was yes I went to hospital MRI scan so it looks like I'm lying and at the end she made me grip her fingers. Anyway. Do you think iv got enough points and should I call atos or DWP to explain the discrepancies 
Thankyou

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

Have you asked the dwp for a copy of the assessment report ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Leodis

Welcome to our online community/family.

It’s great to meet you today!!!!!!

I am very very sorry ? to read your post/current problems.

We have got lots of info and advice on pip here on our site.

I would be more than happy in providing these for you ????

If you would like I’m very happy ? in going through them with you?????

Please please let me know how you feel????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Leodis, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thank you for sharing this with us, and I'm truly sorry to hear of what you've been through. The assessment process must have been really tough for you, so first of all a big well done for getting through it. 

It's impossible to predict how many points somebody will be awarded or what their outcome will be, but as CR says, asking for the assessment report could be a good first step and give you an idea of how things will go. Please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No one will be able to tell you what the decision will be. You can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the recommendations in the report. You will of course have to wait for the decision to be made. If you're not happy with the decision then you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Leodis
    Hi everyone, thanks for replying to my query, I rang the DWP today and he said as I'm already on pip I'm not classed as important to get a decision as a new claiment which suits me fine.I asked for a copy of the report and he said I'd get it with the decision. He did read some of it out to me which has put my mind at rest abit but I was under the impression that I could get a copy of the actual assignment report before its been handled for the final decision. Thanks again everyone. 
  • Leodis
    Sorry. I meant. "ATOS Assessment report" 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP used to send out assessment reports in advance of decision letters but now they are sending both together.
  • Leodis
    Iv called again just now and the ATOS report is been sent out in tommorows post. I will inform you all of what it says
    Kind regards

• Leodis
    Also the DWP guy said I could get a mandatory reconsideration over the phone and it would be sorted there and then. Is this true? 
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    Leodis said:
    Also the DWP guy said I could get a mandatory reconsideration over the phone and it would be sorted there and then. Is this true? 

@Leodis going by what you've written it sounds like as he has mentioned Mandatory reconsideration to you it dosent sound hopeful that he's told you that?

Just wait for the decision and hope for the best, expect the worse.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can make a mandatory reconsideration request by phone, if it comes to that, but your request would not be dealt with on the spot but would take a few weeks. Best to make an MR request in writing but it might not come to that.

advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool 

will generate an MR request letter.
  • kojak7
    kojak7 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi folks any help would be appreciated here 
    my brother went for a pip assessment on 20th of October 
    he has severe mental illness psychosis borderline personality disorder depression to name a few 
    he’s on a lot of antipsychotic medication 
    I asked the women who was assessing him if she was a mental Heath professional she said no she wasn’t qualified in mental health and she seemed to get her back up about this 
    my brother has been in and out psychiatric wards for the past for years  
    hes been on DLA for 22 years since he was 16 
    i gave the assessor supporting evidence from his psychiatrist saying he was unfit to work and mentally unstable but all she kept saying was he has no physical dissabiitys 
    my brother keeps on asking me on a daily basis If he’s had a letter yet about his decision 
    does anyone on here know how long it takes for the decision or should I just wait on his letter coming in 
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    kojak7 said:
    Hi folks any help would be appreciated here 
    my brother went for a pip assessment on 20th of October 
    he has severe mental illness psychosis borderline personality disorder depression to name a few 
    he’s on a lot of antipsychotic medication 
    I asked the women who was assessing him if she was a mental Heath professional she said no she wasn’t qualified in mental health and she seemed to get her back up about this 
    my brother has been in and out psychiatric wards for the past for years  
    hes been on DLA for 22 years since he was 16 
    i gave the assessor supporting evidence from his psychiatrist saying he was unfit to work and mentally unstable but all she kept saying was he has no physical dissabiitys 
    my brother keeps on asking me on a daily basis If he’s had a letter yet about his decision 
    does anyone on here know how long it takes for the decision or should I just wait on his letter coming in 

@kojak7 The best I can offer here it will, or can take 6 weeks or less for the decision? Bear in mind ChrIstmas is fast approaching.

What I would suggest, is you ask for the report that was done on your brother, what you need to ask the DWP, PIP helpline is a form called a PA4 if you had an assessment at home of their centre.

If it was done Paper Based and no assessment you need to ask for form PA3.
    It does sound pretty grime what she said but this is how they act.

Asking for this does not cause you any issue and you are entitled to it and will give you an indication what or not your brother may have scored points on.

Good luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• kojak7
    kojak7 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Thanks for getting back to me on this matter very much appreciated I phoned up this morning and was told there was a bag log and his decision has not been made yet 
    just play the waiting game now 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.