Anxiety and PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety and PIP assessment

A_User
A_User Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited December 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello! I've had mental health issues for almost 20 years... The main problem is anxiety around other people and all other problems stem from that.

I wanted to share about my pip assessment process. I've always understood why they are doing it but not how. 
My pip form was received at the end of August and I had my assessment in the last week after the first one was cancelled. For the last 3 months I've been really unwell physically... Mainly not being able to go to the toilet (sorry!). I changed my diet cutting out everything I thought was unhealthy but it made no difference... I really thought something was seriously wrong.
The day after my assessment everything is back to normal! However I've had groin strain 3 times in the last month and couldn't figure out why. On the day of my assessment a big old lump turned up at the bottom of my stomach so I suspect I have a hernia caused by trying to go to the toilet for 3 months (sorry again), which in turn was caused by the worry of my assessment.
I really don't wanna go to hospital due to all the anxiety and it will make my paranoia go thru the roof! But I'm not gonna have a choice 

I have a good sense of humour so part of me finds the whole scenario kind of comical but at the same time this kinda thing happening is shocking and I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone else. 

Sorry for the long introduction 

Comments

• hartill77
    hartill77 Community member Posts: 97 Courageous
    Hi @A_User

Welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear about your problems. I suffer with anxiety as well so can relate. 
    Is there someone who could go to the doctor with you or do you have a doctor that would come out to your home? 

Charlene
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @A_User

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I have also got problems down below following my “Stroke”

This has made me have an opp a further year’s ago.

Please please let me know if I can help/support you with anything??????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @A_User, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. The assessment process can be an overwhelming and tough time for many people, and I'm so sorry to hear of the impact it had on you. That must have been really tough. Do you have any support in place for your anxiety at the moment?

• A_User
    Hi Charlene! Thanks and nice to meet you too!
    I will go on my own soon enough just have to gear up for it. I feel worse around people I know or like as I don't want thing to go wrong infront of them. The few good people I know wouldn't care but that doesn't make it any easier for me!
    With my anxiety I know when I'm going to feel anxious which has its pros and cons. I don't know how people cope who could be anxious at any given moment. 
  • A_User
    Hi Steve!
    Sorry to hear about your stroke I hope things are improving for you?

Thanks for your offer to help :) 
  • A_User
    Hi @A_User, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. The assessment process can be an overwhelming and tough time for many people, and I'm so sorry to hear of the impact it had on you. That must have been really tough. Do you have any support in place for your anxiety at the moment?

Hi Pippa and thanks. 
    It certainly hasn't been a pleasant experience but I'd bet everything I have that there have and will be worse cases. 
    I've kind of given up with treatments and support etc as I tried pretty much everything for 16 years both on the NHS and paying for some therapy myself. 
    The last time I saw the community mental health team I wanted some changes made to meds etc as nothing was changing. Be proactive and get better. They discharged me after 2 appointments wouldn't do a thing. And the second appointment was only to tell me that. I had to make a complaint to get a course of CBT which I find really disgusting cos what about people who feel they can't or don't want to complain?? Those people are screwed.
    I've been considering reiki as I've heard of a case where that worked. But that's could be expensive and I'm not sure about telling more people who may not be confidential about what's wrong with me
  • A_User
    I've not used a forum before and as I don't really talk to anyone so when I do get talking it can be endless as there could be a weeks worth of words to get out!
    Sorry
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Hi @A_User, don't worry at all about how much talking you'd like to do, just share whatever you feel comfortable with and we're all here to listen!

I'm truly sorry to hear you feel let down by your support in the past, I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. I wonder if you've considered seeing a different GP about your circumstances? Sometimes having somebody look at your situation with fresh eyes can make a really positive difference.

However, if it's not for you, you may also like to join in our mental health discussions, where our members often share tips and advice!
  • A_User
    Hi @Pippa_Scope
    I hadn't considered that as my GP is actually quite good she always asks if I want to be referred back or to Mind etc but I don't really see the point right now. 
    It may be an idea to see someone else tho as when I wanted advice about the reiki she didn't say a word. I guess that's to be expected tho from her professional standing. 

I will take a look at that topic thank you :) 
  • hartill77
    Hi @A_User
    Knowing when situations make you anxious can help you prepare for them.  
    Hope you get sorted and start to feel better soon  x
  • A_User
    Hi @hartill77 but also make you avoid them :/
    Thanks and I wish you the same :) 
  • hartill77
    True :neutral: 
    I'm here if you need anything x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.