partner getting free prescriptions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

partner getting free prescriptions

mrmacca
mrmacca Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi All ,
       i have been recieving income based ESA for a while now and my partner who works 10 hours a week due to being a carer for her mother and myself thought she was entitled to free prescriptions due to me reieving the income based ESA , but she has recieved a penalty notice stating she is not , is this right.
thanks
Dave

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

Am I entitled to free prescriptions?

You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

• are 60 or over
    • are under 16
    • are 16 to 18 and in full-time education
    • are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
    • have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
    • have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
    • hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
    • are an NHS inpatient

You're also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner – including civil partner – receive, or you're under the age of 20 and the dependant of someone receiving:

• Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mrmacca
    thankyou...that answers my question , i have explained this to the nhs debt collectors and they insist my wife is not entitled to free prescriptions.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    The question is here, are you claiming ESA as a couple? Are you sure you're receiving Income related ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrmacca
    Will have to check that as a couple but im sure its income related.
    Dave
  • poppy123456
    How much ESA do you receive per week?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mrmacca
    my wife works part time and i recieve £38
    Dave
  • mrmacca
  • poppy123456
    That's income related yes but you still need to find out if you're claiming as a couple, if you're not then your partner is not entitled to free prescriptions.
  • mrmacca
    So if she is not entitled what can she do , we couldnt manage if we had to pay full charge , going to struggle if she has to pay the penalty charge , they would have to have £1 a week.
    Dave
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    There's nothing you can do and you'll have to pay the penalty charge. If you're not claiming ESA as a couple then only you will be entitled to free prescriptions.

For future prescriptions then your partner should fill in the NHS low income form and then they should be entitled to free prescriptions but don't tick anymore boxes until the confirmation of the HC1 has been received.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.