PIP Mobility Moving Around — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mobility Moving Around

Waylay
Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
Hi all,

Won PIP tribunal: 0 points to DL 11, Mob 8 - Standard, Standard. Happy, obviously, but thought I'd get Enhanced, Standard or Enhanced, Enhanced. Trying to figure out whether the tribunal made an error of law wrt Mobility Question #2.
The tribunal awarded me 2b (I don't agree - I think 2c, but whatever).

2. Moving around.
a. More than 200m. 0 points.
b. 50m - 200m.  4 points.
c. 20m - 50m unaided.  8 points.
d. 20m - 50m aided.  10 points.
e. 1m - 20m.  12 points.
f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
(i) stand; or
(ii) move more than 1m. 12 points. 

Case law says that moving around relates to a normal out of doors surface - including kerbs and reasonably flat pavements.

My question is: Does it only involve moving around outside? I thought that it involved moving around inside, too.

For reference, my mobility is extremely variable. I have chronic pain, which includes sciatica and acute lower back muscle spasms. The more I walk (or stand or sit, etc.) the more pain and fatigue I get, and the more likely I am to trigger sciatica and/or a muscle spasm. I can still walk with sciatica, but the pain is much worse. Back spasms are BAD. Pain ranges from 6-9.5/10. Stiffness increases with pain level, and mobility decreases. I can't use aids.

I'm only capable of leaving the house ~1-2 days a week. The other days I can't move far enough to be able to leave the house. My mobility varies as follows:

15% of time (good days): Can walk 160m, with rests, to shop. Rest, then walk around (small shop). Rest, then walk 160m back, with rests. This increases pain, fatigue and stiffness, and may trigger sciatica and/or a back spasm. I might be able to repeat it once that day.

40% of time (avg days): Could do same amount of activity as above, but pain, fatigue, stiffness, and likelihood of triggering sciatica/spasm is increased, and chances of having to lie down for the rest of the day, and having a bad day the next day, are high. As a result I rarely leave the house on these days, and if I have to (med appointment, etc.) I take a taxi there and back and limit my walking as much as possible. At the hospital I get pushed around by a porter.

30% of time (bad days): incapable of most activities I could do on an avg day. Generally in bed all day except for trips to bathroom, and sometimes kitchen, which increase pain, etc. Even getting to kitchen is hard.

15% of time (worst days): In bed all day. Need assistance to stand/walk. If no assistance available, have to crawl (humiliating).

So I thought: Good days  Avg days    Bad days    Worst days
                      15% 2b       40% 2c       30% 2c-d       15% 2e

I figure that's 2c, no?

Sorry for the length.

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.