Support with care and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support with care and benefits

gcoakes
gcoakes Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, I've checked your site a few times in the last few months but now would like any advice you may have. My partner has bipolar type 2 and last year I took the decision to become her carer. We have 3 young children and I felt I couldn't support the family as needed whilst in full time employment. Family life inproved with my supervision but we then had the dreaded brown envolope! Long story short even though her original award is until late 2019 after a face to face she was awarded 0 points, again! Last time we won the mr but I was working so was easier than this time as we relied on this benefit. I wanted to post as anyone searching can see they are not alone and to hopefully get advice on where to turn next, happy Xmas to us! Luckily I thought this might happen so Xmas for kids is already sorted but not sure where to go or what to ask for benefit wise, I could get employment but would feel iam abadaning my family, my partner struggles enough without all this so to put more pressure on her would end in tears. Any advice on where to turn, benefits to claim etc would be very helpfull, ps iam fighting all the way as the way this goverment treats it's most vunrable citizens is disgraceful, any advice on the fight would be great also, thank you

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gcoakes   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. I am sure there will be members of our community and members of out team. Who can identify what you are going through . I am one.

Understand benefit are complex and confusing. Need the right guidance, advice and support. 

Consider speaking to CAB the local office. In your area.  They have  a lot of expertise and knowledge on benefits.

Is you wife receiving any help and support regarding her mental health.?

Something to look at is a mental health charity. 

I have mental health problems and issues. Speaking and contacting a mental health charity can advise on a range of support. Advice and information.

Useful with coping methods and strategies.  

https://wwwrichmondfellowship.org.uk.

I used them when I was having issues with my mental health.  Advised me with my benefits and offered lot of support, information to guide me through my illness.

Hope that helps.

Please ask if we can advise on anything some one will know.

We are friendly .

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gcoakes
    Thank you for your reply @thespiceman, yes she has been under a psychiatrist who diagnosed and put her on medication, they refered her back to primary care as her medication was stable but that was used against her in the review, they really either don't understand or actively discriminate against mental health, or probably a bit of both! We only got letter yesterday but will be contacting CAB Monday morning, many thanks for your reply and hope all is well with you, take care and speak again, Gary 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gcoakes Thank you for sharing about your wife's mental health, I understand what you are going through

The system is not helping any body. Reason I advise mental health charities. I have had a lot of knockbacks, no where to turn considering this charity..

I know you mentioned Primary care and the medication. Stable but this is what they do, mental health. So many patients and little funding.

Charities could be answer all I am saying, do know had council support only lasted 8 weeks. Contract with mental health charity 3 years.  

Something to consider.

Please if we can help with anything please ask.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gcoakes
    Many thanks again @thespiceman will definitely contact a charity and I will keep you posted, 
    Take care 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi gcoates

Welcome it’s great to meet you today 

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

We have got lots of info and advice on “Benefit’s” on here.

I am very very happy ? in going through them with you!!!!!

Please please let me know how you feel?????????

• gcoakes
    Hi steve51 thanks for your reply. I was wondering whilst we go against pip decision I guess I lose carers allowance and income support, do you know what else could be claimed for a couple in our situation?
    Many thanks 
  • steve51
    Hi @gcoates

That’s my Pleasure ?

We have got some “Benefit Advisors” here on our site.

I will forward your post onto them.

I am not sure how long it will take them to get back to you!!!!!!

Please please let me know if you need anymore help/support?

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo  

Can you please help me with this post please????

• gcoakes
    Many thanks steve51
  • steve51
    Hi @gcoakes

No probs it’s my Pleasure ??

Please please come back to me if you haven’t heard anything from our “Advisors”
  • gcoakes
    Thank you so much, will definitely get back to you, speaking to CAB, DWP, SMI tomorrow so will let u know how it goes, nice to get appropriate advice and show other people they are not alone, thanks for the support 
  • steve51
    Hi @gcoakes

That’s great ???

Do you need a hard with the phone ??

Yes please please let me know how things go if there’s any further problems??????
  • gcoakes
    Thanks for the support speak to you tomorrow thanks Gary 
  • steve51
    Hi @gcoakes

No probs yes please come back to me tomorrow if required!!!!!

Brightness