Compliance Letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Compliance Letter

SoniaP
SoniaP Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello, I am new here, I have received a letter from the DWP, a notice of a Compliance Telephone Interview. The only thing it states is that if I do not answer when they call my benefit payments will stop.

I have been off work since December 2016 with Severe Anxiety & Depression. I also have problems with my back, trochanteric bursitis in my hip, plantar fascitis in both feet and Achilles tendonitis in both calves. My joints have hypermobility. I have been receiving the enhanced rate of mobility and living PIP since January this year. I was on ESA but that finished last month, so I am receiving just PIP. Because the ESA finished I have claimed housing benefit.

I do not understand the letter and also it states nothing about why they are calling me. On the back, it states that I needed to inform them of changes (I did not inform them of the changes in ESA as this is income related). It also says that I need to have my bank statements available for the interview.

I phoned the number on the letter and it was an answering machine ... the FRAUD officer. I am now very worried as to what I have done.

Can anyone help or tell me their experience if they have had the same? Thank you xx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What changes didn't you tell them about? Income related ESA is means tested and living with a partner that works, savings/capital are just some of the things that go against claiming this benefit.

No one can really answer your questions here unfortunately. Just answer the phone and answer all the questions honestly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya SoniaP,
    I had one and like you I worried and worried till the call came. Why I do not know because I had done nothing wrong, it’s the unknown I think that makes you feel that way.
    Well I had the phone call and the lady was lovely.
    She said that someone had reported me for working. I said that I hadn’t and she then said she’d read my reports and could clearly see that due to my conditions that it was obvious that I’d be incapable. She said that she had to follow up all reportings and apologised. I said that I totally understand and she had a job of work to do.
    That was it. Try not to worry, as long as you’ve done nothing wrong, it could be someone just simply being nasty.
    Good luck anyway and I’m sure that the knowledgeable people on here who know about the benefits system will advice you on the dos and don’ts of not answering the call. These people are extremely helpful.
    Again good luck ???
  • Spibes
    Spibes Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    I've been to a compliance interview face to face in September due to a malicious unfounded report. 

The chap was really lovely and most are, sadly if the system flags you for a random check or they receive a report they have to check. 

Just be honest with the caller and it should be fine, I don't know your circumstances so I can't say for sure what will happen but I can assure you from my experience it was quick and hassle free. 
  • SoniaP
    thank you all, I was not on income-related ESA it was contributory. That has just finished so it might be because of that. 9 days to wait that is the only problem xx
  • poppy123456
    Contributions based isn't means tested and not affected by savings/capital or living with a partner that works.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SoniaP
    Well, I spoke to the compliance officer today. She explained that there has been an allegation against me and that she could not tell me any more until the phone call which is another 8 days away ((sigh))
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya SoniaP,
    At least you know what you’re dealing with, to a degree anyway.
    As I’ve already mentioned to you, the same happened to me.
    Its not nice and I wonder how sad or vindictive some people are. You’ve got nothing to worry about so deal with as it is. 
    Dont worry, I’ve been there. It won’t be long and once you’ve answered the questions and they’re satisfied, that’s that.
    Good luck ???
  • poppy123456
    I always say if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about. Sounds like someone has reported you for something. Just answer the questions honestly, is all you can do.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.