My PIP experience — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My PIP experience

bananab
bananab Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I applied for PIP back at the end of October and just wanted to share my experience so far as it seems unusual than most other people's!

I have Myeloma Cancer which has affected my mobility and capabilities to look after myself. 

Filled out my PIP form with help of the Macmillan citizen advice at my hospital and sent it away with no evidence (I didn't realise at the time that you needed evidence and presumed they would contact my Macmillan nurse and my heamotologist!) I then read on here that rarely happens so was expecting nothing to happen really. My Macmillan nurse phoned me last week, she had a PIP assessor on the phone and was she okay to give them information about how my condition effects me, great I said, please do.
I have received a text from DWP on Thursday to say they have received my assessment and will write once a decision is made.

So I'm presuming I am not getting an interview? Can I ask for a copy of the assessment? Is this a good thing that it's all been done without speaking to me? I was very thorough on my form about the daily struggles I have looking after myself at the moment.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, you can still have a copy of the assessment report even though it was a paper based assessment. They usually go with the report. You'll still need to wait until a decision is made, but it will give you some idea. All it means at this stage though is that you've had a paper based assessment. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bananab
    bananab Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just wanted to update this to say that I got a copy of my assessment and looks like the recommended higher amount for both mobility and daily living. Also mentioned review in 9 months which suits me as I hope to be better by then after i finish chemo and recover from a stem cell transplant! 

I also received a back dated payment from PIP yesterday morning so looks like they have agreed with the assessor.

Just wanted some people to know that there are good experiences out there.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.