Homelesness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Homelesness

rubyscooby
rubyscooby Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Although I suffer from anxiety , depression and physical illness. I decided to get some stuff together for the homeless 
i advertised for any unwanted sleeping bags trainers clothes etc 
now I have a large van full ready to go to their new homes
there will be people sleeping in hopefully better sleeping bags , with new trainers and backpacks this Christmas, thanks to the generosity of people who live near me 

chuffed 
pam xx??

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats a wonderful thing to do :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya rubyscooby,
    What a wonderful person you are.???
  • Spibes
    Spibes Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    As a formerly homeless person in accommodation now it was kind brilliant people like you who helped me get hope again!

You do make a difference keep it up!
  • Reeneroo1980
    Reeneroo1980 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Well done @rubyscooby

Its people like you that restores my faith in humanity xxx
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hello. That is truly a gift coming from a warm heart,

I was homeless for a while, and no one helped. I know what it means to have someone care.

You are a very special person. Your warm heart overwhelms any anxiety condition you may have. Would that everyone were like you.
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @rubyscooby what a great thing to do, and it's so rewarding isn't it! I also have given to the homeless around the city centre and helped out in community centres that offer hot food /drinks and a friendly face to people that live on the street with no fixed abode and have helped them fill out forms. I think its important that people put themselves in someone else's shoes and realise homelessness can happen to anyone. I find there is s alot of negative views/judgment  against people who live on the street that they are in to drugs and alcohol but that's not always the case and if they were who are we to judge. We are not in their situation. Even if you can't give money or offer anything it doesn't take alot to just simply talk to someone, and it Could brighten up their day ?
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @Spibes hi, congratulations on your success of getting accommodation. I wish you lots of happiness. I can only imagine how happy you are after experiencing living in the streets and I'm sure you are very grateful. :) 
  • Arjuna
    Arjuna Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    I'm going to go against the grain here, but I was homeless for a while , and I actually found it quite liberating , I know that must sound strange to some, but I felt the pressure was automatically switched off, Its an entirely different lifestyle , and one that can bring its own peace of mind because your out of the system (somewhat) what we see on t.v is always people with' issues ' that fall into degradation and worse but that's not always the case, some people utilize this freedom for the betterment of mankind, The material world is not the be all and end all life.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Arjuna Thank you for sharing your experience.  It's true that there is always two sides to a story and we don't often get to hear this in relation to homelessness.  I'm glad for you this time had some benefits.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats really great @rubyscooby I think the fact that we have so many rough sleepers in the UK in 2020 during a time of national emergency is an utter disgrace, I would urge anyone who can to do anything they can to help those living on our streets, just a kind word means the world to them, at this time of year we buy inexpensive hats and gloves and hand them out when we see a rough sleeper who needs them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Dobt know if anyone remembers tea bag  lived and died on the streets in Swansea I met him a few times but he chose to live on the streets  some people can't cope with living in a home with bills to pay to have to worry about things  to have all the stress I did  3 months helping the homeless and I rember one man we housed him three times  and every time he went back to the streets  so I asked my boss  let me talk to him and he said its to much stress to much to do to much to keep sorting out and he said it just confused him so I asked him what docyou want and he said to me thats the first time anyone has taken the time to ask me  and his answer was I am used to this life I like it I have true friends we look out for each other its a simple life I went back to my boss and she said I was being stupid  because no one wants to live like that I went back to him and told him what my boss has said and he started to laugh  two days later my boss went to the same man and said we have found you somewhere to live there was myself and two others as we had found homes for five people  the man looked at my boss and said one of your girls came and took time to talk to me and ask me what I wanted and I told her what I wanted but when she told you what I wanted you didn't belive  that this is the life I have chosen and is what I want  so why have you come to rehouse me again when its not what I want to cut along story shorter he was allowed to stay on the streets and was supported helped and fed and kept warm the day after the incident my boss called me into the office  and she said that I was irresponsible  because quote people like that don't know what they want and I shouldn't of  asked him what he wanted so I resigned  on the spot and told my boss its you who doesn't understand your doing what you think is best snd not whats best for them and I walked out the moral  is people need to listen what other people want not what they think they want whatever the situation is 

Brightness