Benefits - am I one that is effected by there mistake? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits - am I one that is effected by there mistake?

bevvy1966
bevvy1966 Community member Posts: 77 Connected
hi I was on incapacity benefit for many years and then was transferred to esa ( contubutory esa for 12 months then I was moved to income related esa.. plus I was on dla at the tine and had a disability premium..am I one that is effected by there mistake pr have they got my case right

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevvy1966 welcome to the community! I am unsure however other members of our community will be able to advise you and will be in contact with you soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • bevvy1966
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

DWP are in the process of contacting everyone that moved from IB to ESA and eventually you'll be sent a form to fill in. Once you've filled in the form and returned it you'll be assessed for the Income related top up between those dates. Unfortunately, it's impossible to give you a definite answer as to whether you'll be entitled to any back dated money because it depends on many things.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevvy1966, and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the above response is helpful, please do let us know if you have any further questions.
  • bevvy1966
    what I need to know is, was everyone put onto contribution esa in the first 12 months of switching from incapacity.. when I rang them they said they had got it right and I was on income esa..
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    People were placed onto Contributions based but some had the income related top added.

If you were claiming a disability premium when you first transferred from IB then you would have been on the Income Related top up at least because the premiums aren't paid when claiming Contributions based alone. You must be claiming Income related or Contributions based with an Income related top up to qualify for any disability premiums.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bevvy1966
    It's not disability premuims I was talking about.... think I had that all the while I was on incapacity benefit..... my wyestion is.... if ii was on incapacity benefit for years abd once I was transferred to esa, I was on the contribution element for 12 montgs then I was pur on income esa would this be correct
  • poppy123456
    bevvy1966 said:
    It's not disability premuims I was talking about.... think I had that all the while I was on incapacity benefit..... my wyestion is.... if ii was on incapacity benefit for years abd once I was transferred to esa, I was on the contribution element for 12 montgs then I was pur on income esa would this be correct
    You'll need to fill out the ESA3 form for DWP to assess you and this is the only way you'll know your answer i'm afraid. It's impossible to advise further on an internet forum.
  • bevvy1966
  • bevvy1966
    ok thank you for ur help..
  • poppy123456
    The disability premiums is the income related top up and receiving these will depend on your circumstances.

If you're not talking about the disability premiums then i have no idea what you're talking about.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    @bevvy1966 from what you said you may possibly be owed money for that first year.  I think the issue is no one will want to tell you that you are entitled to this or that, get your hopes up and then been wrong, so I emphasis "possibly".

However my concern is why you got moved, CB based WRAG had a time limit of 12 months.   So people on that would be moved to IR ESA after a year, if you was in the WRAG group then that doesnt give you the premiums.  If you got moved to the SG after the first 12 months and you was already on IR then you would have got the premiums you qualified for.  I suspect you was in the work related activity group, this information you ommited from your post but it is key.
  • poppy123456
    worried33 said:
     if you was in the WRAG group then that doesnt give you the premiums. 
    That's not correct. Changes were only made to those in the WRAG if they applied for ESA after April 2017. The extra amount given to those in the WRAG before this date was slightly less that those in the Support Group, the amount before the changes took place was £102.15 per week. Premiums are also paid while in the WRAG, (Income Related)  if you qualify but this will depend on circumstances.
  • julierose
    julierose Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    is this a new thing as a couple of years ago i was refunded a large amount back to me and was wondering if this was a payment due to the mistake or is this something they only just discovered?
  • poppy123456
    julierose said:
    is this a new thing as a couple of years ago i was refunded a large amount back to me and was wondering if this was a payment due to the mistake or is this something they only just discovered?
    It concerns those that transferred from incapacity benefit to ESA. If you were one of those DWP will contact you sometime in the future.
  • bevvy1966
    all I know is... according to dwp that for tge first 12months of being on esa it was contributory based abd then got put onto the income based esa... I was on the work related esa, but tbh I think they got that wrong, because I had been on incapacity for years previoisly, part from short periods when I tried to work.. the lady said if I don't hear anything by the 14th if December I prob wouldn't be entitled to anything because the dwo should of sent me a form by now.. but she daod to ring on the 14th and they will possibly look into it.. but has of yet, I have not rang them... would it be still worth ringing
  • poppy123456
    @bevvy1966 they only way you'll know is to be assessed by DWP. It's impossible to give you any definite answers on an internet forum.
  • bevvy1966
    illl ring them then and see.. but thank you anyway
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    worried33 said:
     if you was in the WRAG group then that doesnt give you the premiums. 
    That's not correct. Changes were only made to those in the WRAG if they applied for ESA after April 2017. The extra amount given to those in the WRAG before this date was slightly less that those in the Support Group, the amount before the changes took place was £102.15 per week. Premiums are also paid while in the WRAG, (Income Related)  if you qualify but this will depend on circumstances.

I am aware that the WRAG had a component for LCW, which new claimants dont get, but that was never labelled as a premium that I can remember.  However this component was given to both IR and CB so wouldnt be applicable to any money owed for this form.

On the other premiums I just checked and you are right and I apologise for the misinformation, I tried to provide this information since you just advised him to fill out the ESA3 to find out.  In my view he has provided enough information here to at least give him a basic idea of what he could get.

So the EDP premium is something you get on IR ESA SG automatically but not CB ESA WRAG automatically (without disability premium).  I suppose this is the one I was referring to when I meant no premiums on ESA WRAG, but wasnt thinking of SDP and normal disability premium.
  • poppy123456
    It's impossible to give a definite answer on an internet forum. Whether or not the OP is entitled to the premium from the dates stated will be up to the DWP to decide and assess the claimant on. You just can't assume something on a forum, sorry.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.