20 meter walking distance pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

20 meter walking distance pip

Options
tosh
tosh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited December 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi, i just received a copy of pip assessment  by capita  re the 20 meter distance  as stated on my report, the distance from the waiting room is actually 20 meters to the assessment rooms, both there and back, seems designed to fail, how else can one possibly get to the assessment rooms, even if you struggle at the assessment on the day, regardless of the reliably and repeatedly an in reasonable time reasoning, quite simply just going to the assessment rooms and back again on the way out, seems to be proof enough, when i asked the hcp if she was a Dr both myself and companion were gobsmacked to hear, "NO I AM A NURSE  WE ARE BETTER THAN DRS" 
there's no parking or drop off, at high street birmingham capita, so you have to make your way to the building  more stress, it can not be right that capita are carrying out dwp instructions in this cruel way, on highly volatile area of Birmingham  3 people were seriously assaulted, by gateway House, whilst my assessment took place, upon research, i find several hundred assaults had taken place high street birmingham  and several hundred had been injured in gang related incidents, its time for this government to held account for the callous cruel way it treats people with disabilities 

Comments

• CaraLee
    CaraLee Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Options
    Hello,
    I am so sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Have you considered making a complaint or raising these concerns with capita? http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html - It may feel like a small action but it may just take your voice or another complaint for them to look at making changes that will help make a difference. Wishing you all the best.   
  • lucy14
    lucy14 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    Hi 
    I attended my face to face there last week.
    We were lucky my friend drove and we managed to grab a disabled space right outside the door.
    I understand what you are saying about the area it seemed really rough and we felt intimidated by a gang of youths hanging about.
    I was really struggling walking to and from the assessment room and felt I was being rushed as the assessor who was really nice was having a conversation with me as I walked and I struggled to keep up with her..so no doubt she was timing me..
    Still waiting for my report x
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Appalling, cruel and totally unacceptable treatment . 

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Options
    sue66 said:
    Appalling, cruel and totally unacceptable treatment . 

You have just summed this government's attitude to disabled people. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wait for the DWP decision letter.  If you have to ask for MR and then appeal, don't worry too much as 71% of tribunal appeals succeed.

My Atos assessor wrote that because I walked 16m to assessment room on, on a level carpeted surface then I must be able to walk 50m outdoors using pavements and kerbs. Preposterous.  Tribunal awarded me enhanced mobility.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Welcome to the community @tosh, and thank you for sharing this with us.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your experiences, and I'm glad to see you've had some support and encouragement from our other community members. At the very least, I hope you find comfort in knowing you're among others who understand and can relate to your feelings. If we can be of any assistance, do let us know.
  • tosh
    tosh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    thanks ive had a lot of good advice on hear and some great help from scope with help form filling much appreciated thank

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.