Discrimination of autism child at school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination of autism child at school

smayradar
smayradar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I ve been told by a teacher to lie to not bring my autism  in school tmrow 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @smayradar, is there a particular reason the teacher does not want your child at the school tomorrow?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• smayradar
    smayradar Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    The class is going on  trip which hes not going and told me to keep it home even they come before lunch back to school

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    Hi @smayradar

Sounds like a tricky situation for anyone to be in have you thought about talking to the school as this is not acceptable even if the school have there reasons still sounds like discrimination if the school don’t do anything you could always try the governors it’s a good idea to put this in writing as this can help you keep track of what’s going on.

Hope this helps 
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    That is actually against the law and they used to try and do that will me say just keep them off a few days ect 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @smayradar

This type of discrimination is wrong, and can get the school into trouble. By getting you to lie they are affectively covering their selves. IE no we did not exclude the child, the mother called in and said the child could not attend due to (enter lie given).

If it was me, I would speak to one of the senior management team - head, deputy head or SENCO (or what ever title they go by these days) and make it clear that this was not acceptable and make it clear you do not expect to see a repeat of this. If they want you to keep your child off school for a day, or more, than you expect it to be in writing and give the reasons for the exclusion.

Unfortunately this is a massive problem for children with disabilities and autism in particular. I do not know anything about your child and know enough about autism not to jump to conclusions, however it the decision probably come from concerns about your child. That said it is their responsibility to properly risk assess the trip and take steps to mitigate or reduce those risks.

I know when my daughter wanted to go on a school trip abroad for a week the head master got all the teachers involved in a meeting, made it clear that she was going and wanted to know what their concerns were and how they would address these. 

Just for future reference, if you keep having issues with the school I refer parents to IPSEA https://www.ipsea.org.uk

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness