pip mobility MND and pension — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip mobility MND and pension

WILLMASON
WILLMASON Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my wife has suffered mobility problems since breaking her ankle 4 years ago.in april she applied for pip and was awarded standed rate pip on living allowance and mobility allowance she was aged 64.  in july she was eventually diagnosed with MND and fast tracked onto higher rate living allowance but because she had turned 65 years old in may,the law says your not allowed to get the higher rate.this does not seem right is there anyone in a similar position ?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @WILLMASON, and a warm welcome to the community.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm not sure of the answer to this myself, but hopefully some of our knowledgeable community members will be able to advise. @poppy123456, can you help? 
  • Anderson66
    Anderson66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    PIP is a nightmare to get hold of
  • Anderson66
    Anderson66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I been waiting 44wks to hear if my tribunal has been won
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @WILLMASON

Once someone passes 65 the rate of mobility they are on cannot be increased - unless they are appealing a lower award when a tribunal might increase the mobility rate.

There's an explanation on the gov.uk website.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What do you mean fast tracked onto Enhanced daily living? A diagnosis wouldn't fast track you a higher award, unless the it's a terminal cancer diagnosis (less than 6 months) and a DS1500 form is used.

Did you request a Mandatory Reconsideration and the decision was changed? Or was a change of circumstances reported?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Milly123
    Milly123 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi Willmason,
    First of all may I say how sorry I am that your wife has been diagnosed with mnd. I know first hand just how devastating this must be for both of you. I lost my husband to mnd in 2005, he was just 53yrs old. He passed away just three years after he was diagnosed. For the three years that we had left together, I was his sole carer. In the last year of his life, he could no longer do anything for himself at all. It was very hard for me to cope but I would not, nor could not, put him into a hospice. I wanted to spend as much time as I could with him as there was no knowing how long we had left together. I married him in sickness and in health and I meant every word, I loved the very bones of him and it half killed me inside to see him like this. He was so active before mnd. He got to the point where he didn't want to be here anymore. As you know, the mind is still alert, its just their body that lets them down. He wasnt scared for himself, he was only scared of leaving me on my own. He was taken into hospital on Christmas eve as he couldn't breath properly, he had a chest infection that turned into pneumonia and he was put on a breathing machine until he passed away in early January. He wouldn't let go until I told him it was ok to let go and that I would be fine. A couple of hours after, I was holding him in my arms when he took his last breath. Im only sorry that I was unable to let him have his last wish....to die at home. I know I did my best for him. I tried all along to give him hope by saying there could be a cure just around the corner. I tried not to break down in front of him. We had a long garden with a railway line at the back. Sometimes when I felt I couldn't cope or I was just hurting so much from all the lifting I had to do, I just went down the bottom of the garden and when a train went by, I just used to scream my head off. It seemed to help a bit that I was able to let out all my frustration, anger and hurt. I still miss him dreadfully, he was a lovely man, my best friend and sole mate. He was also the bravest person I've ever known for putting up with this awful illness the way he did. It must have been so frustrating and humiliating for him to go through. He did it all with dignity. I'm so proud of the way he coped with it all.
    I hope your wife doesn't suffer too much. My heart goes out to you both. Stay strong for each other and try to enjoy the time you've got left with each other.
    I hope they do carry on paying you pip, you both deserve to get it. You have enough going through all this without all this stupid pip/dwp rubbish. You could do without that added stress. Take care both.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.