The way Dwp are treating people with mental health problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The way Dwp are treating people with mental health problems

Matthewsheehy24
Matthewsheehy24 Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
I went to the medical board in July 2016 I had 12 points I appealed and got another 15 points on top of my 12 so I was put in the care part.Then in December 2017 saying they had paid me the 365 days and put me in the wrag group. I put a mandatory reconsidering in on January 2018 for over 7 months no reply from dwp I sent another one in July. When I phoned up asking why I hadn’t had a reply they said they had lost the letter which I handed it in to my local job centre it was on the computer saying they had received it.The reply I had was because it had been so long putting it they wouldn’t overturn it and they had lost my first appeal.i even had people who work for dwp putting the phone down on me aswell. Then in November 20th 2018 I had to go to my medical I got 18 points and they have left me in the wrag. I passed the medical I can’t work so I certainly can’t look for work ablouslety disgusting the way they treat people with mental health problems they have made my illness worse thanks for reading this any help from anybody would very grateful 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s not people with mental health its a lot of people’s cases, files get mislaid, reports lost so the DWP have not got an agenda against claiments who have mental health problems. Considering the number of cases, claims that get processed each month there are bound to be mistakes from time to time. We only hear and read posts about bad acessments, awards ect very few good results.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Being placed into the Support Group isn't about scoring points. It's about satisfying at least one of the Support Group descriptors or reg 35. See links.

If you disagree with the decision then MR is your next step. I'd recommend contacting welfare rights or a law centre near you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matthewsheehy24
    I have put a Mr in over the phone yesterday plus I got an appointment with welfare rights Wednesday plus I have emailed my local Mp. I know people make mistakes but don’t tell lies. When I spoke to dwp they said there was nothing at all on my files from 2016 and I have a letter of apology for losing the letter but now there’s nothing on the computer about my MR I sent in January 2017 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to put the MR request in writing, stating what you disagree. Point out the reasons why you think you should be in the Support Group, keep a copy for your records incase it's lost again.  Being placed into the Support Group has very specific criteria and not everyone qualifies.

DWP telling you, you were out of time is incorrect. You have 13 months not 1 month (with good reason) as DWP say they lost your request then there shouldn't have been any reason for them to go ahead and look at the decision again. If this was done and the decision remained the same, which most do then you would have needed to request the Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    In my experience and after working over 40 years . I'm a cancer survivor but it's left me mentally and physically tired I can still function but every thing is more difficult now I no what it's like to go to work I've done the same job since 16 years of age I'm now 63 . They don't take into account the emotional feeling s of people and there families I've got family in there 70 s who say to me after what I've gone through I should be left alone to get on with my life I didn't stop work cancer as changed that . It's insulting that when we are ill they say we are fit for work . Truth is these strangers who have no idea of our inner feelings couldn't give a toss but if they were in our shoes it would be a different story . 
  • Matthewsheehy24
    Your spot on Clarkjackson hope your health is ok now 
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Hello Matthew cheers mate I had the all clear earlier in the year due a ultra scan waiting for appointment details . I'd never been ill until around 61 ish had penile cancer if that's not bad enough for a bloke . I've seen all the people with those walking sticks that don't touch the floor and the ones who have a can of booze glued to there hand . I've got just under 3 years until retirement paid all my stamp and they seem to want to make life as uncomfortable as they can they give you 73 pound a week after paying for our phones which we need to listen and view the **** they feed us leaves about a 8 pound a day to live on . I'd buy you a drink but I don't think we'll end up **** ??

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.