Finding work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding work

Dog_lover01
Dog_lover01 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2018 in Work and employment
Good afternoon everyone.

I am getting involved with Scope as I am looking everywhere I can think of to get me help in looking for work and getting work.  I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers, it took nearly 40 years to get there!  I really want to work, but with the Aspergers, and a confirmation of Dyspraxia, and with very little experience in anything but human health care, (not particularly appropriate with my traits!) My job coach seems to think that despite the fact that I have provided a medical note to say that I am not fit for work, yesterday he said I should look for work.  It is a regular occurrence and it makes me dread going to the job centre.  He can't see that any job worth taking requires relevant qualifications, experience or both, but he is pushing me towards jobs that require neither.  Am I the only person who is dealing with this sort of treatment from a job coach or is there anyone else dealing with this?  Surely this is Disability Discrimination?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dog_lover01

Welcome it’s great to meet you today!!!!!!!

I am one off the “Community Champion’s”

We are here for help & advice & support you!!

We have got some good info/advice below for you:

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fservices%2Femployment&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fservices%2Femployment&auth=vobxxpf7OqCYRa3fZ3%2Fpgg&profile=_default&rank=6&query=Looking+for+Work

Please let me know if you need anything else????

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dog_lover01! Welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear this, its awful! @steve51 has gave a great link to check out, let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Dog_lover01
    Tanks Steve51 and Ami2301.  I will certainly have a look at the eamil affress you have given me Steve.  I have got my photo already by the looks of it, me cuddling a daft yet adorable and loveable staffy!  I will keep looking in on this group.  Where can I post my CV here please?  I could really do with some advice and tips to make it irresistable to future employers in the animal care industry, but be open about my Aspergers and Dyspraxia/  thanks in advance

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dog_lover01, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties finding work. It wouldn't be appropriate to share your CV here on the community, however you may be interested in Scope's Support to Work programme. Do have a look, and let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Wishing you all the best! 
  • Dog_lover01
    Hi Pippa

Thanks for getting back to me.  that was the link I was hoping for so thanks for that.  I managed to get and speak to someone from my local MP's office today, he didn't seem impressed with what my so called job coach had done to me on Friday.  surely if you have a medical note that states that you are not fit to work, the job coach shouldn't be making you look for work. Right?!
    I will have a look at that link and see what I can find on it.

Thanks again

Hayley
  • Dog_lover01
    Had a fantastic phone call today, to work for a care agency, thing is, I don't have some of the documents they want, up to date P60 or P45, up to date pass port or up to date manual handling certificate.  and it is Zero Hours, so could wind up getting called at the last minute.  Hourly rate is ok though so may be worth puruing.  I have replied to their email to make them aware that i do have Aspergers and Dyspraxia, it remains to be seen whether or not they will still be interested!

Have a great christmas everyone
  • Dog_lover01
    edited December 2018
    Been looking a bit more objectively at the offer of work with the agency I mentioned last week.  The contract is Zero hours, so i could get called up at the last minute. They also have an unbelievable attitude to Aspergers and Dyspraxia.  Apparently they are illnesses not disorders!  It rings alarm bells straight away.  
    Another issue I have, my short term memory seems to be abysmal.  I thought I had lost my flat key before Christmas, couldn't for the life of me remember where I had put it.  I thought I had remembered but it wasn't where i thought it was.  It was my mum that found it, it had fallen out of my trackie bottoms pocket, safe to say she gave me a really stern rollicking, and i feel it was more than fair.  
    Is short term memory a common trait in Dyspraxia, Aspergers or both?

Hope someone can help me on this one

Kind regards

Brightness