Assessment report for pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment report for pip

Whiterose
Whiterose Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I hope all is well with everyone. I would just like some advice regarding my pip assessment report.
On a whole I am happy with the report, my only issue is that I received 0 points for planning and following a journey. On my previous pip claim I scored 4 points for this. The assessor's explanation for this was that I am not on any anxiety medication. This is not true as I have been on pregabilin for the last 5 years. This is well known for being prescribed to people who suffer genralised anxiety disorder which is what my psychiatrist diagnosed me with. Moreover my pregabilin has recently been increased to 300mg morning and night.
Am I entitled to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and take it to the tribunal if needs be?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

Whiterose

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you disagree with the decision then yes you can ask for the MR and Tribunal if that fails and most do.

Scoring points in following and planning a journey will totally depend on how your conditions affect you and no one can advise the risks to your current award if any by asking for the MR. They do look at the whole award again.

I'd advise you to contact your local welfare rights or law centre for face to face advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 172 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • poppy123456
    Some GP's will refuse to write a letter of support for a benefits claim, those that do will most likely charge you. A letter from a GP isn't the best evidence to send because very rarely does a GP know exactly how your conditions affect you. They will only be able to tell them the basics like diagnosis and medication.

There's no charge to have digital copies of your medical records.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Whiterose
    Appollo14lmp will a leaflet from my anxiety medication and a diagnosis report confirming my generalised anxiety disorder be enough for dwp to change the decision?
    I can't understand why they have taken away my 4 points for planning and following a journey as my anxiety has worsened. Furthermore I stated I suffered from panic attacks whenever I leave the house which is only for appointments. The pip assessor said that I stated I don't have them all the time this is a blatant lie.
    I have also read something in the news regarding eligibility for points in following and planning a journey for people with mental health.
    Also do you know what exactly is the mental state examination? 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    @Whiterose leaflets are not classed as evidence because they don't prove anything. The evidence you need is something that shows how your conditions affect you, everyone is affected differently by all those conditions and you never get 2 people the same.
  • poppy123456
    Yes they did change the wording on some of the following and planning a journey descriptor but you can only score those points if the descriptor applies to you. Face to face advice is needed here.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger

I had issues over my MH had been examined the day before assessment by an Atos physio - who said I had no mental health injury. I showed the DWP the evidence got a changed score and money restored - reported the lying Atos physio to the HCPC such is the evidence she could be is a bit of trouble should we say.

I had similar. I have another DWP benefit for life entirely because of the limitations I have as regards my mental health caused by a brain injury.
    Yet the assessor came up with 14 reasons why I don't have any mental health issues 
    Guess who the DWP believed? The assessor! After that I gave up - much like pushing water uphill.

• poppy123456
    As you didn't previously have a mobility award what you need to think about is are you able to score enough of points for an award?  I realise you're concerned because they took those points away from you but that's not what you need to concentrate on here. You need to concentrate on which descriptor you think applies and your reasons why.

• PIPQuestions
    PIPQuestions Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    edited December 2018
    If your only issue is not scoring points for following a journey, and it does not sound like you have mobility problems, honestly I would just leave it. The 4 points you might get back will not get you mobility and does not count towards daily living. It would have literally zero effect on your benefit.

It sucks the assessor lied, but it does not sound like it's hurt your benefit at all. I would just drop it as it would make no difference and hope you get a better assessor next time.

Unless you think you should have scored more than 4 points this time, in which case disregard the above and try and go for the 8 (?) points for standard mobility but if it's just for the original 4 points back then I wouldn't waste my time risking the living portion of it.
  • Yadnad
    I sometimes wonder that if you don't appeal against something that you know is wrong, would it affect the next assessment? Would the DWP case manager have in mind that as no objection was raised last time why then should it be different at a later date.

Likewise if you don't look at your whole problems and just concentrate on those that you know should get you at least 8 points when filling out the claim form, would that also be held against you next time round?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
  • [Deleted User]
  • Whiterose
    Pipquestions I scored 10 for moving around. I have been diagnosed with depression hearing voices and generalised anxiety disorder. I take pregabilin for anxiety which has recently been increased. The assessor claimed I do not take medication for anxiety.
  • Yadnad
    Whiterose said:
    Pipquestions I scored 10 for moving around. I have been diagnosed with depression hearing voices and generalised anxiety disorder. I take pregabilin for anxiety which has recently been increased. The assessor claimed I do not take medication for anxiety.
    https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/pregabalin/
  • PIPQuestions
    PIPQuestions Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    edited December 2018
    Whiterose said:
    So you have mobility issues ? Apologies , didn't sound like it from your op. In that case definitely appeal as 4 points is the difference between standard and enhanced.

This is because pregabilin is generally used for pain and I think epilsepys and not anxiety. I think a lot of people don't realise it actually helps with anxiety because it's rare it's used for it. All you can really do is mention it is used for anxiety and that's why you have it prescribed, and if possible get a confirmation letter from your Dr stating this aswell.

• Yadnad
    Whiterose said:
    So you have mobility issues ? Apologies , didn't sound like it from your op. In that case definitely appeal as 4 points is the difference between standard and enhanced.

This is because pregabilin is generally used for pain and I think epilsepys and not anxiety. I think a lot of people don't realise it actually helps with anxiety because it's rare it's used for it. All you can really do is mention it is used for anxiety and that's why you have it prescribed, and if possible get a confirmation letter from your Dr stating this aswell.

The link I gave above comes from the NHS and it clearly shows that it is used for anxiety amongst other issues.
    For them to state that in a report to the DWP shows that they have little knowledge.
    Mind you, not rocking in a chair, salivating, having eye contact, not sweating, etc are also signs of not actually suffering from any mental illness.

• Whiterose
    Pipquestions will it help to send the leaflet that comes inside the box of pregabilin?
  • poppy123456
    Whiterose said:
    Pipquestions will it help to send the leaflet that comes inside the box of pregabilin?
    No, i'm afraid not. A leaflet about the medication you take will not help a PIP claim. You need evidence that proves how your conditions affect you and not any leaflets because they're not classed as evidence.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.