Hi, my name is AimeeCheeks! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is AimeeCheeks!

Options
AimeeCheeks
AimeeCheeks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2018 in Start here and say hello!
I’m new to Scope! I have had IBD or Inflammatory Bowel Disease since I was a toddler. I’m now 49 so this has been a very long time. A long time to adjust to being ill. A long time to understand what is going on with my body. A long time to become an expert on my illness. I just recently was diagnosed with another disease- Ankylosing Spondylitis. I’m scared ******** for the first time in my life. This disease is new and has not caused nearly the pain and horror that I have experienced with IBD. So why am I such a wimp? I’m guessing being in that comfortable space of familiarity has been invaded. I’m here to help people with IBD related issues and to find help with Ankylosing Spondylitis. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AimeeCheeks welcome to the community! 

I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling however i will tag @Sam_Scope who has IBD and @AnkyieSpon who has Ankylosing Spondylitis whom im sure will be happy to get in touch with you to offer support and we all will support you :)

I must point out that we do not encourage swearing as we have young members, it is hard when our emotions are all over the place but for future postts, no swearing please :)

Let us know if we can help you further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CaraLee
    CaraLee Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Options
    Welcome to the community @AimeeCheeks it's nice to meet you! :) 
    Your emotions are completely understandable, although I do not have the same conditions I can relate to adapting to life with one condition over a long period and then facing another and finding it harder to adapt. You are right the unknown can be a little frightening, however the great thing about this community is so many people have similar experiences and all help each other through sharing their stories, knowledge and providing endless support that can bring a little light to the darker times! I wish you all the best on your journey. :)  
  • AimeeCheeks
    AimeeCheeks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the welcome! I’m loving how this site works so far. It seems like more than a place to commiserate. I’m feeling like Scope has more of a pro-active vibe. Now, I’m on to unanswered posts to see how I can help!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope you enjoy being part of our community as much as we will enjoy having you here! ?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @AimeeCheeks welcome to the community. @Ami2301 is right I do have Ankylosing Spondylitis, I was diagnosed almost five years ago. I year ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis. I finally got my head around the AS and then there is something else to understand.

I'm happy to offer any advice regarding the AS. Don't Google and read all the scary stuff, look at the NASS website https://nass.co.uk you may even find they have a branch near you that offers exercise and hydro. The most important thing is to keep moving. 
    Please keep in touch. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AimeeCheeks

Good Evening & Welcome ??

I am one off the “Community Champion’s” 

On our “site/community”

Please please let me know if you require any assistance in & around???
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AimeeCheeks, and a warm welcome to the community!

Great to have you here, and glad to hear you're finding the site helpful. It's brilliant to see you've had a chat with some of our other members, and please do let us know if we can be of any assistance. 

You may also be interested in @Sam_Scope's brilliant guest blog about invisible illness and accessible toilets!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @AimeeCheeks
    Have you seen the Crohns and Colitis UK website? It has loads of great support and info.  I have had IBD since 2004 and have an ilesotomy so do let me know if I can help at all :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness