Resigning from work and claiming esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Resigning from work and claiming esa

JamesHoover
JamesHoover Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone I’m new to the forum and was looking for a bit of advice on a few things I’d possible please. Basically I have been signed off for the past month now by my doctor due to anxiety and depression. Which is primarily being triggered by my work place and being around people because I work in retail. I have been off sick a number of times over the years with the same condition but I’m at the point now where I’m ready to resign and find something new when I’m feeling better, but my question is this, I’m currently getting ssp so if I were to hand in my resignation to work now whilst I’m being signed off by my doctor could I then begin to claim esa benefit without any issues ? I’m in a full universal credit area. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you . 

Comments

• JamesHoover
    Hello everyone I’m new to the forum and was looking for a bit of advice on a few things I’d possible please. Basically I have been signed off for the past month now by my doctor due to anxiety and depression. Which is primarily being triggered by my work place and being around people because I work in retail. I have been off sick a number of times over the years with the same condition but I’m at the point now where I’m ready to resign and find something new when I’m feeling better, but my question is this, I’m currently getting ssp so if I were to hand in my resignation to work now whilst I’m being signed off by my doctor could I then begin to claim esa benefit without any issues ? I’m in a full universal credit area. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you . 
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Hello James I had cancer had to stop work I'm 63 felt mentally and physically fatigued after my ssp finished went on to uc credit but had to go for a health assessment after I was informed I could do some sort of work seems you've got to be half dead before they will sign you off work mate 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is payable for 28 weeks. If you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim New Style contributions based ESA but you won't be able to do this while claiming SSP. New style ESA isn't means tested like UC is.

I wouldn't advise you to hand in your notice until you get further advice.  See link and call these people and they'll be able to give you the correct advice.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

Question is answered on your other thread here.

It's always better to stick to one thread otherwise people get confused.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JamesHoover
    Hi Clarke that sounds like a horrible thing to go through I’m sorry to hear of your cancer my thoughts and well wishes are with you my friend. Thank you for the advice. And thank you poppy for the advice aswell. How long did you have to wait for a health assessment Clarke after you went onto uc if you don’t mind me asking?
  • poppy123456
    Waiting times for work capability assessments depends on backlogs, they're different for all areas. A fit/sick note will be need from your GP which ever benefit you decide to claim.
  • clarkjohnson
    Hello James I had to give the uc or job centre sick notes for about 6 months then I had to fill in a es50 form about a month later I had to go for assessment after that no more fit notes needed your put in which ever group they decide ?
  • poppy123456
     your put in which ever group they decide ?
    Or you can be found fit for work of course, if this happens then you won't be given LCW or LCWRA.
  • clarkjohnson
    Or of course if you've got a walking stick that don't touch the floor or a can of lager stuck to your hand your laughing 
  • poppy123456
    Lets not judge others please. This forum is for helping people, not judging. No one knows other people circumstances and you can't judge a book by it's cover.
  • clarkjohnson
    Totally agree it's help people want exactly but don't you agree some people feel hard done by with the actions of others if your ill your ill 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.