Carer's allowance wait time query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer's allowance wait time query

parker18
parker18 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited December 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have applied for carers allowance because I care for my husband who has a eye condition which means he is blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other eye, it can flare up at anytime. For example he just recovered from a flare up which was about 5 weeks in total, couldnt do a lot. I was here everyday making sure he was ok and giving him his tablets and eye drops, its a horrible thing to go through but we do what we can. I sent the paperwork off on the 5th novemeber. I know they said it would take some time, but I dont know what to do. I have called before and the automated person said, If ur applying for a new claim for carers allowance then it would take up to 6 weeks to come through. I just hang up after that knowing it wasnt there yet. I want to know If my claim has or is being delt with and If it has weather I have been accepted for it. 

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. 

Thank u in advance. Xxx 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @parker18, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Hopefully some of our members will be able to advise with this. Fingers crossed you hear soon!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @parker18   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. In response to your question. I am sure that it will be dealt with. 

I do not how long it will be. 

We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share.

Plenty of information, advice and new friends.

Please ask if we can advise on anything some one in our team or a member of our community will be in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • parker18
    Hiya pippa thank u, hopefully they can. Xxx 

Hiya the spiceman I do hope its been delt with, its the not knowing part which is frustrating me. Hopefully I will find out soon. Xxx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Does your husband claim a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance allowance?

If so then providing you don't work and earn more than £120 per week or you don't claim state pension and you care for him for at least 35 hours per week then a successful claim can take 8-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • parker18
    Hiya poppy yes he claims mid dla, no I dont work. I dont claim state pension either, and yes I care for him every day. Give his tablets to him every morning, and If he forgets then his drops as well. Ok thank u, its not there yet then. Im hoping when it comes to 8 weeks Ill find out then. 
  • poppy123456
    They'll contact you but it will most likely be after the New year now.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lisabrazil80
    lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    Hi I've been awarded my personal independence payment back how long does it take for my carer to get his Carer's Allowance back and will he get back pay for anyone shed any light on AC
  • poppy123456
    Hi I've been awarded my personal independence payment back how long does it take for my carer to get his Carer's Allowance back and will he get back pay for anyone shed any light on AC
    If you've recently had a Tribunal decision in your favour then you'll need to wait for DWP send send you the award letter and for your payment to restart. Once you've received this then your carer will be able to claim the carers allowance. If claimed within 3 months of your payment restarting then it will be backdated to the start of your award.

Payments can take 8 weeks to start back after a Tribunal win.
  • parker18
    Hi there I have just got a letter today about my claim, and theres a few they need to know. I have been asked to send my passport to them, I have already called them as I can not seem to find my passport. And they said If I have photocopy of my passport they said its fine. I can not remember If I sent my passport off when I first made the claim, has anyone else done that? 

Thank u. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    parker18,
    Do you have your passport number anywhere? It may be worth asking the DWP what they need it for. If it is to prove your identity, and you can't find the passport, you may want to try using something else which proves your ID - you could ask them what would do.

If it's to prove your immigration status or that you've been in Great Britain for long enough then it may be difficult to find something else that will do this, but bear in mind some people just don't have a passport so if you can't get hold of it, it's not unreasonable to ask them if you can prove what they need in a different way. 

I don't think you would have sent your passport off when you first claimed carer's allowance - that is definitely not the norm. 

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• parker18
    Hiya will I found my passports and sent them off, and filled out what they wanted to know. Just waiting for them to receive it and wait for there decision, hopefully it comes through ok. 

Thank u.
  • parker18
    Hi there I have got my passports and birthcerticate back from them, and they sent a little letter with it saying. (Thank u for sending ur documents, we have taken a copy for our records. And will be dealing with ur claim). Hopefully it goes through ok, and hopefully I hear back from them soon.  

Thank u. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.