Christmas Shopping — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Shopping

Antonia_Alumni
Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
edited December 2018 in Coffee lounge
We have less than a week before Christmas, and some of us have not started our Christmas shopping yet and some of you may have already. We wanted to ask you all few questions, please let us know your thoughts. 

White Glass Christmas Tree- shopping centre

Do you find any shops accessible or do you prefer online shopping instead? 

online shopping

What experiences and tips and hints do you have? 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I am almost done! I have tried really hard this year to buy all my gifts from small, independent stores in my local town rather than the big chains and Im so happy with my purchases but it has been a lot more tiring, having to go around the shops has been tough.

I have also done some internet shopping but generally this has been for experience vouchers (spa days, theatre tickets, gig tickets.)

I have been to two CHristmas markets this year and found both were not very wheelchair friendly which was a huge disapointment.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Phantomscript
    Phantomscript Scope Member Posts: 10 Listener
    I have always favoured independent stores and Butchers, as well as local Christmas markets. Due to my wife's condition, I started shopping a s far back as Autumn. The maddening crowd is not for us, a couple of things were bought on line mainly a wine and gifts for relatives far away.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I won't be purchasing many gifts, but they will be all from online. This town has very few stores left: most of the independent shops were killed when Walmart came in. 

I do miss going around looking at Christmas things.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Where I live, they actually have 1  decent shop in town now; The Works. Originally went in-store and bought a few presents but they have a wider range online.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Sam_Scope
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Happy to hear you're almost done with your Christmas shopping. I love that you're supporting independent stores. Sorry to hear the Christmas markets were not as accessible. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @Phantomscript
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Yes I think people should try their independent stores and butchers. That's a really good idea, due to sales and last minute shoppers. It does get overcrowded and overwhelming. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @cracker
    Thank you for sharing this with us. It's unfortunate, for the independent stores and loyal customers, when a big name brand takes over. I hope you have a lovely online shopping experience.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @Ami2301

Thank you for sharing this with us. That's good to hear, The Works have a good range of products. I hope it all goes well with your online shopping.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited December 2018
    I started online shopping for a loved one, and online shopping was a better option for them. As they have not had a good experience previously. I am always late with my Christmas shopping, but I have bought some gifts (it's more fun buying for babies and children, but for adults can be a bit hard for me :)) Maybe I will get some gift vouchers (thanks @Sam_Scope). Then lastly, grocery shopping - wish me luck!
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I got my big food shop online this week just hope it lasts till Christmas lol #hungryteenager
    I shop mainly online 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I find I am increasingly opting for online shopping. Thanks to @Pippa_Scope I recently discovered the joys of Etsy and supporting individual traders. Outside of our main grocery shopping I do prefer to use local shops.

My favourite shopping trip for this time of year is our local ASDA. Open 24 hours, no trafic on the road, hardly anyone in the store, easy to find help if I need it. I just love that 2am shopping.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Lynda1967
    Lynda1967 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm done. I have found going around the shops too tiring and my pain levels go through the roof. I decided to do it online which has made a big difference
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I finished Christmas shopping 10 years ago
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Hi @debbiedo49

Thank you for sharing with us. That's good to hear. Oh I hope so too *fingers crossed* :D:D Wishing you a lovely Christmas.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Geoark

That's awesome to hear. Thanks @Pippa_Scope :) Yes Etsy have very unique items. It's lovely to hear you have found a time that suits you, to do your shopping and get the help you need too. Wishing you a lovely Christmas.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @Lynda1967

Thanks for sharing this with us. Yes, online shopping has been a relief for many. Happy you have that out the way now, have a lovely Christmas.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @CockneyRebel

Oh, 10 years ago! :D Thanks for sharing with us.

Have a lovely Christmas. 

Brightness