Can I acquire a mobility vehicle without claiming benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I acquire a mobility vehicle without claiming benefits?

Courtownharbour2018
Courtownharbour2018 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in Transport and travel
Hi all I am Gill, I work full time but thankfully I have a sit down job, although it does require me to do other tasks. I had my 5th and 6th vertebrae fused in 2001 this left me with severe pain and other side effects since the op. I was diagnosed a few years ago with Fybromialga as well as Osteoarthritis, which has caused me to have difficulties doing just about everything. I am in pain if I try and walk to the end of the road, I miss out on a lot of family things because of it. Now I have pain all over but I keep on going to my job that I love. I don't want benefits, all I want really is an automatic car to help with my pain. It seems silly to me that to qualify for the mobility car I would need to be claiming benefits. Who can help me? any advise would be welcome at this point.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Courtownharbour2018, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It's an interesting question about access to a vehicle, one that I don't know the answer to myself. However, hopefully some of our other members will be able to advise! 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Courtownharbour2018

Welcome my friend it’s great to meet you today.

Yes to be able to be on the “Motability Scheme” you would need to be on the  “Higher Rate” off “PIP”

I hope that this is okay?????
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately No PIP/DLA mobility award - no Motability car.

Have you tried private personal leasing deals? There are loads on the web.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    Unfortunately No PIP/DLA mobility award - no Motability car.

Have you tried private personal leasing deals? There are loads on the web.

@yadnad hope your well as can be. But this thread is a little old now and was posted at the start of November? I would like to hope this member would have sorted something by now.??

But I will now add to it aswell.

The only way on the Mobility scheme to get a car is that you need to receive either DLA or PIP, high rate of mobility, also as yadnad states lease hire is another option. Good thinking.

If by the time you've read this I hope you got sorted. All the best?
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness