ESA assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA assessment

Neil06
Neil06 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi everyone I have got a assessment my first in two years on the 4th Jan 2019 after I took the dwp to tribunal the last time and won in 2016 as I suffer with mental health problems. In 2016 my doctor sent me to the pain clinic at my local hospital as I was in server pain with my back and down my right leg where I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which my Docter never told me I only found out in early 2017 when I was on a pain management program. In 2017 after a long and hard fight I was awarded high rate PIP I can't understand why they have asked me to go for a face to face when they already know I am in chronic pain with my fibromyalgia and I never know how am going to be day to day which as made my mental health get worse with suffering in pain all the time I sent in all the medical evidence they asked for and list medication am on for what help it is they have asked that I take any evidence with me round my condition which they have had off me all ready take it they NOT looked at it and all my medication as well. Any advice welcome thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP and ESA are different benefits and a PIP claim won't help an ESA claim. Most people have face to face assessments for both.

ESA is about the work you can do, not the work you can't do and during the assessment you'll be assessed for what you can do.

The letter you received about the assessment mentioning taking evidence with you, it's just a standard letter than everyone receives when attending a face to face assessment. If you've already sent in evidence with the form then there's no need to take it with you on the day.

During the assessment you'll be asked questions about your conditions and how you're affected. You'll be able to take someone with you but you'll have to answer all the questions yourself.

Decision times after the assessment can be anything up to 8 weeks and sometimes longer. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Neil06
    Neil06 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    @poppy123456 sorry to correct you but both PIP and ESA are the same they both come under the DWP which was pointed out to them when I took them to tribunal for my PIP and which the tribunal pointed out to the DWP have fell foul to in court for trying to deceive someone into believing something that is not true, especially for they own personal gain so that people just give into them. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP and ESA and not the same. ESA is for those with a limited capability for work. PIP isn't about work, people claim PIP and work. Claiming PIP doesn't mean you have a limited capability for work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.