Question on SDP while being a lodger — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question on SDP while being a lodger

Options
Waylay
Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
Hi all,

I'm applying for back-dated SDP for the past 1.5 years. While I was researching it I began to wonder whether I should have been receiving it while I was living in my last home.

I was a lodger in a private home, so I lived with my landlord. I had my own bedroom, but shared the kitchen, living room and bathroom. I paid rent to my landlord. My landlord wasn't related to me, nor was he my partner. I was getting ESA and PIP, and I didn't have a carer.

I can't find anything about this online. Any ideas?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It's possible you may have been entitled to it but also impossible to give a definite answer on an internet forum.  All you can do is apply and a decision maker will look at your claim and decide based on the information you give.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Waylay
    Options
  • happy123
    happy123 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    Options
    Hi Waylay' 
    Do you claim Housing benefit and what rate is paid to you ie shared or 1 Bedroom rate under the Local Housing Allowance regs?
  • Waylay
    Options
    Hi @happy123 ! I think... Hoo boy. This is actually a backdating application for several years ago, so I'm not sure. My rent was only 300, so either would have been fine.

Thanks for your help!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.