Advice: Ask to reapply but still have 2 years left on my assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice: Ask to reapply but still have 2 years left on my assessment

chrissymilly68
chrissymilly68 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just received a PIP book through the door to reapply but I still have 2 years left on my assessment. Is this normal ? The funny thing is the booklet says “thank you for advising us of your change of circumstances “ we need to check your entitlement is still the same. I haven’t had a change of circumstances. On the contrary in fact. I have been diagnosed with another condition, which means I’m constantly at the pain clinic. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @chrissymilly68 Pleased to met you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and inform new members.

Sorry what has happened.  I have to say unfortunately PIP reviews can happen at anytime.

More information about PIP reviews on the Turn2uswebsite which you might find useful.

Also speak to CAB about filling in the form. Citizens Advice have a question by question guide filling in a PIP claim form on their website.

Hope that helps.

We are a friendly community. Supportive, care and share. Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know from our community or a member of our team be in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chrissymilly68
    @thespiceman thanks very much for replying and welcoming me to the group. The main problem that I have is that this isn’t a review form, it’s a full new application that they want me to make stating I’ve reported a change of circumstances, which I haven’t ! Also, this form was sent out to me on the 15 th of December, which I just received today, and they want it back fully completed with medical info in 15 days time. I won’t be able to do that. They’ve cut down the month to complete this and left me with only 2 weeks. My GP has all of the medical evidence I neeed and she isn’t back at the surgery until 4th January (they are only open 1 more day before this date to even ask for my information). I’m also going through a very difficult time and I’m sad to say that I’ve been getting treated for feeling suicidal. Receiving this today on top of everything else, with only 2 weeks to gather everything I need it just too much. Should I contact them on Monday and advise them of all of this ? I feel that I’m going to need more time and help to get all of this done. Will they understand this ? I know my GP will definitely tell them that it’s too much in such a short space of time for me.

sorry that I’ve had to divulge this on here. I don’t have anyone else to help with this.

thanks

chrissiemillie68
  • thespiceman
    Hello @chrissymilly68 Thank you first for replying back to me.

Sorry what has happened .

You need to contact them on the following number. 0800 121 4433 . Ask them for an extension .

You should have received a booklet with your PIP claim form outlining what you need to add in the form.

Please to reassure you.  Contact CAB as I have stated in my last post to you. I know this is difficult and hard for you.

The main aspect of the each part of the form. Understand this is not easy to do. Reason I suggested look at question by question advice on CAB website.

One suggestion I have is to a draft copy make some answers on a sheet of paper. According to what the descriptors say. Rough notes on a piece of paper.

If you ring CAB ask for an appointment your local office and take the script down with what you have done, then they with you. Be able to assist you to fill in it. I use them they fill in. The form for me with me on the side lines saying my health history.

I think you are of course nervous, anxious about this. I do understand been doing this constant reassessments for over a very long time.  Live on my own and am have to use CAB for forms.

The health history you have . This can be sent later.  Copies and any evidence.

Apologise if the post I sent meant reviews .  Thought that might give you some reassurance.  Just thinking. Being thoughtful.

Also they can and do this. I know my own award is till 2020 but will I know get another assessment next year.

Please do not worry I am sure we as a community are here to support you. I am here on this forum. Most of the time.

Glad to help you anytime that you wish to.

Another thing to consider if you need to talk to those people who can support you if you feel suicidal.  Your support team in a crisis.

That is most of important of all your mental health . Just being concerned.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chrissymilly68

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today ???

You have had some great info from @thespiceman

I’m very very happy ??? in offering my services to help you if required????

“Have a Great Day”

• chrissymilly68
    Hi Steve51, thanks for saying hello. This is the first time I’ve came onto one of these sites and asked for help. It’s actually been a relief. There is so much conflicting information out there about these PIP forms, so I thought I’d be better asking other people who have had to do them, for help.

I am going to take @thespiceman advice and phone for an extension on Monday, if they are there ?

When I was moved over from DLA in 2015 I had an advocate from a carers charity who helped me and she actually went to my face to face assessment with me. I’m going to try and contact that lady again  (after New Year as most places are closed until 3rd in Scotland)  because she was a wealth of knowledge and she really helped me. It’s just this depression has me so low that it’s not easy for me to even leave the house just now.

My carer is away in Australia for Christmas seeing her family so not having her here when this form arrived hasn’t helped either ! 

Thanks for offering to help me. I will definitely take you up on that as and when I need it, if that’s ok ? 

Nice speaking to you 

• steve51
    Hi @chrissymilly68

No probs it’s my Pleasure ??

Yes please please let me know if you have any problems on Monday?????

Please please let me know if you have any other “concerns”

We are all here to offer you both our “help & support”

Please let us know if things are getting to much for you????

You our now part of our community/family!!!

• thespiceman
    Hello @chrissymilly68 Glad your going to get some support to help with your PIP.

Also me and my friend @steve51 only to happy to be of service. This what we do on this forum. Part of the role. Help and advise.

One other piece of information is to consider. I used a mental health charity.

Https://wwwrichmondfellowship.org.uk.

For some mental health support. I know needed some issues addressing. Even though I thought doing OK. Us gents and health.

So applied this charity. Details gave you. Website. Self refer.  Have and do attend benefit and assessments.   Just also thought helped me with benefit forms as well.  When you join.  

Plus can help with other aspects of mental health if you need that.

As you said not good with your depression.  I do not know if they have branches in Scotland might be worth having a look.

You are part of our community now. Remember if you wish to have a chat or ask anything. Always some one here to talk to.

Including me as well as I am sure @steve51

Hope that helps.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • steve51
    Hi @chrissymilly68

I just wanted to “mirror”
    my “good friend”  @thespiceman
     “Info & Advice”

Please let us know if you need a chat as we are all here for you!!!!!
  • chrissymilly68
    Hi @Username_removed I haven’t told DWP anything and I don’t have a new diagnosis ! Everything is exactly the same as it was way back when I first diagnosed with my disability, and was put on DLA. I was then moved over to  pip back in 2015 without any problems and my award was until December 2020. I don’t actually have anything different to tell them from 2015 to now. I have the same illness. I see the same GP. The same consultant etc .... I did read somewhere that these forms are being triggered after a 3 year period to ensure that your disability remains the same and that you are entitled to the correct amount of benefit. I could be wrong though. I am fully intending to phone PIP after New Year for a discussion about it. 
  • chrissymilly68
    Sorry that’s my fault for causing confusion. It’s all part of the same thing that’s wrong with me and that originally caused my disability. It wouldn’t have affected my pip claim. It’s to do with paralysis and I was already paralysed before this new form came. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You said in your first post about the new condition, did you ring DWP and tell them about this new condition/diagnosis? If so then this will be the reason why you've been sent the form earlier than you really should have been, if your award is until Dec 2020.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrissymilly68
    No I have had absolutely no contact with DWP. The “new” condition I was talking about is part of the same illness that I have. I shouldn’t have worded it the way I did. They know all about my condition and that it’s degenerative.  It’s never going to get any better.  I’ve been told, and read myself that most long awards over 3 years are checked regularly every 3 years. I’m just not sure if that’s correct. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
      I’ve been told, and read myself that most long awards over 3 years are checked regularly every 3 years. I’m just not sure if that’s correct. 
    That's not correct. Awards a reviewed 1 year before they are due to end, unless you were awarded by a Tribunal and then DWP contact a claimant 14 weeks before the award is due to end. Double check that the award isn't until 2019 and not 2020.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrissymilly68
    No my award is definitely not due to end unti December 2020. I had a conversation with a CAB legal advocate today and she also told me that a certain number of long term awards are checked every year and that it is normally around the 3 year mark. That would make sense as this new form was sent out 1 day after my 3rd year anniversary. They are also allowed to request a review of an award at any time ! Not that It is not a review form that I have received. I know what those look like. This is the full 50 page form, which is basically like starting my claim all over again ! I’m going to be phoning them on Wednesday to ask for an explanation and an extension of the return date. I’ve basically lost half of the time allocated to fill it out due to Christmas and New Year, plus I’m due to go into hospital at the end of next week so there’s no way I can get it back to them by the requested date. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.