Support groups after assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support groups after assessment

Firefly123
Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
Hi first I should say I'm glad my son got put in a support group LCW got a message on his UC can I get a copy of the report so I can see if that's the group he should be in 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

LCW isn't support group. LCWRA is Support group equivalent. You can request a copy of the report yes but if he was put into this group then there's no higher group he can be placed into.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    Ah OK I thought they were both support groups thanks @poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    LCW under UC doesn't pay any extra money if the claim started after April 2017. You need to double check his online journal to see if it's LCW or LCWRA because only LCWRA pays the extra money per month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Firefly123
    Thanks @poppy123456 it is LCW still not got the letter saying so yet just the one on his UC journal 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. As i previously said LCW doesn't pay any extra money. The limited capability for work 'LCW' element is awarded when you are thought to be capable, with support, of preparing for work at some point in the future. He maybe asked to attend some appointments at his local JC.

Do you agree with this decision? Have you looked at the criteria for LCWRA? If so, is there any of the descriptors that would apply to him?
  • Firefly123
    No I don't agree he certainly fits a few of the descriptors each for 15 points he definitely can not convey a simple message to strangers or can not cope with change to his daily routines or can't cope at all. Definitely damage to proberly if he's stressed. He can not get anywhere familier with out being taken. Engaging in any social contact causing him severe destress.
    Do they send me the report or do I have to ask for it? 
  • poppy123456
    You need to ask for a copy of the assessment report. See the descriptors for LCWRA in this link. He just needs to satisfy at least one of them.

Face to face advice is needed for this because no one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to his current award. Good luck.

• Firefly123
    Thanks @poppy123456 yes he fits at least 3 of the descriptors. Do I write in his journal I would like a copy of the report 
  • poppy123456
    Yes you can do that but you can also ring them. As they don't always respond to messages on a journal you maybe better off ringing them.
  • Firefly123
    Thanks @poppy123456 I called them today 
  • Firefly123
    Hi I got the report but really don't understand it I take it its the ones with comments that indicate something 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

Not many people do understand the work capability assessment report. It's very difficult to advise on an internet forum because we can't see the report.
  • Firefly123
    Getting about is unable to get to a specified place with which he is familiar with unless he's accompanied by another person then on that activity. It says relevant features of clinical examination
    Abnormal findings 
    Behavior 
    Was restless 
    Appeared tense
    Some difficultilty coping at interview 
    Speach
    Spoke very little
    Spoke very slowly 
    Spoke very quietly 
    Mood
    Was timid 

Normal findings 
    Appearence 
    Did not appear to be trembling 
    Increased sweating was not apparent 
    Did not rock rocking may indicate anxiety 
    Normal facial expression
    Adequate report 
    Speach
    Speach content was normal cognition-general
    Did not require prompt at interview 
    Activity 16 Engagement in social contact with anyone unfirmilar to the client is not possible for the minority of time due to his difficulties relating to others or the significant destress experienced by the individual
    Then all the same abnormal findings and relevant normal findings answers same as before 
    Persnolised summery statement just what illnesses he has ect he coped despite him having difficulties he is likely to have significant disability in getting about. Some disability in coping socially. Significant disability is unlikely in other mental health areas. 
    Then mental state looked very flushed then again all the same abnormal and relevant answers again where the same excapt added was he also appeared shy smiled a little when it was over however did not engage a lot
    I keep going over it but makes no sense to me. 
    Sorry its rather long is this how reports usually are. 

• poppy123456
    Reports for UC and ESA are like that yes. Looks like he scored 6 points for activity 16 coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, which isn't enough for either group. (15 needed for LCW)  However, i assume he was given LCW due to substantial risk which is reg 29 for ESA (not sure what it is for UC but same sort of thing)

If you're going to request the MR as i previously advised you need to look at the descriptors for LCWRA to see which apply, if any.

I'd definitely advise face to face advice from a local advice centre near you.
  • Firefly123
    Yes I've been ill but will take it to my local cab on Wednesday as they have a drop in that day. 
    His last esa assessment report was so much easier to read and understand and well they didn't tell me I could do anything about it except make a new claim for UC
    Thanks for your help @poppy123456

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.