My Medical history — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Medical history

disabledkenny
disabledkenny Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
This is about disabledkenny life since conditions started at the age of 14!

I was 14 when my right knee started giving away in school & took me to hospital, they did not know what was wrong so stuck me in plaster cast from my hip to my ankle, after 3 months they removed it & told me I had oscoslaters disease (lack of cartilage tissue), at the age of 19 I saw a rheumatologist & he operated on my knee & discovered that I had osteoarthritis, a year later my hips started then my left knee, they sent me for physiotherapy & gave me painkillers. I also started with asthma so started on inhalers which helped control it.

When I was 27 in 1993 I woke up unable to move from my neck down so my ex-partner called out my doctor he said the osteoarthritis had hit my spine & sent me immobilized so gave me some anti-inflammatory tablets and within 4 hours was able to move & start walking again, but had to give up my job as head waiter of a hotel in Oldham, I was able to claim benefits & disability living allowance (now called PIP) & got the higher rate care & mobility.

1994 I had a major stroke & took 8 months to recover I was unable to move my left side & has slurred speech also for a few days was blind.

In 1997 I started my own business designing & printing business stationery for small businesses & was driving from Morecambe to Lancaster, Preston, Blackpool, Oldham & Manchester, but in November 1997 had another major stroke which took 13 months to recover from so ended back on benefits.

I started suffering from severe depression disorder in 1998 saw a phsycritis and stress councilor eventually medication helped me.

I had a bad fall in 1999 using my wheelchair going up a steep drop curb I fractured my center & lower vertebra’s & spent 3 years needing a lot of care unable to walk mostly bedridden.

From 1998 - 2012 I  had a lot of strokes, light strokes & TIA’s in & out of the hospital, as they discovered that I had a stroke-related condition.
In 2001 I moved back to Oldham to be near my friends.

2009 became paralyzed from the chest down, spent 4 weeks in the hospital, 3 months later got feeling of upper body but legs remained paralyzed for a further 15 months, still to this day did not find out why.

Had a heart attack in 2014 discovered I had Super Ventricular Tachycardia condition recovered after a couple of weeks.

Started with prostate problems in 2016 on medication to help.

Physiotherapist diagnosed me as having nerve damage in the upper spine, waiting for MRI then an appointment with Neurologist, this is caused through thinning of the discs in my spine causing the vertebra to rub together & get worn pressing onto my nerves, it causes pain & weakness in the upper body.

So after all this, I have mental health issues through all that my body has been through.

Comments

• AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Hi @disabledkenny welcome to the community and thank you so much for sharing your story, I truly hope 2019 brings you better things. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @disabledkenny Pleased to meet you welcome .

Thank you for joining and sharing.  I am one of the team of community champions. Who guide, inform and advise new members.

Thank you for sharing your medical history with the community. There will be members of our community who can identify what you have been through.

Will be in touch. We are a friendly community. Supportive, care and share.

Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know a member of our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • disabledkenny
    Hi thanks for the welcome I appreciate it, I am also someone that help & support disabled people, in June I set up Oldham Disabled People & Elderly Support Group up & in February next year setting up Oldham Versus Arthritis Group, already got 2 members, I ran Arthritis Care as Chairman for 6 years till 2000 when I had a stroke and was moving back to Oldham in 2001 anyway.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @disabledkenny

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your story with us.
    You have been through a lot and happy to hear you run support groups.

Please have a look at our quick guide about our community and feel free to join any of our recent discussions 

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @disabledkenny

Welcome it’s great to meet you today ??

It’s great to meet you today.

I have also had a “Stroke” in 1998 at the age off 32.

Please please let me know if I can help you further?????
  • disabledkenny
    Hi Antonia & Steve thanks for the welcome, Steve what type of stroke did you have & how long did it take to recover, the latest TIA was 5 weeks ago took 2 weeks to fully recover unuasual symptom of waking up with blured vision & confussion after sleeping.

• steve51
    Hi @disabledkenny

No Probs.

My Stroke was a “Bleed”

I had a “full blown” Stroke in Spain.

I have had a rough time ever since so my health has plummeted.

The Stroke was caused by “small veins” in my Brain.

So the hospital/doctors have been chasing them around ever since.

How are things today????
  • disabledkenny
    Hi Steve I am sick of having TIA's as 5 weeks ago I had one 5 weeks ago & took me 39 miles away to the nearest stroke specializing in strokes & the stroke consultant & neurologist that have seen many times before told me that I had not had one as did not show up on a head MRI scan which some don't mine is the blood vessels to the brain which does not always show up & the other that always shows up is the blood vessel from the brain to the heart.
    They tried telling me its all in my head, I had all the symptoms & for 2 weeks before & after every time I woke up I had blurred vision & was confused. So next time I am just going to rest at home.

• steve51
    Hi @disabledkenny

Many thanks ??

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current problems!!!!!!!

Yes mine I also to do with “Blood Vessels”

No I haven’t been seen in a “Stroke Hospital”

I have like yourself only seen a “Neurologist”

I was also told after my “1st Brain Opp” that I would be sorted & I would never need any further “treatment”

But 5yrs later it all started playing up!!!! 

But this time on my other side & “Yes” I had to “Jump up & Down” for the “Treatment”

Please please keep me updated with things!!!!!

• disabledkenny
    Hi Steve,
    that's good they sorted you out for 5 years, are you still having problems or are they waiting till you have another stroke or bleed? 
    Years ago you used to be sent to the nearest hospitals but now they send you to the nearest stroke hospital, mine happens to be 39 miles away, just as well it was overnight as my carers could not travel 39 miles 3 times a day to care for me in hospital.

Brightness