I have been on SSDI for years, if i inherit some money -can i keep it or will it be taken? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been on SSDI for years, if i inherit some money -can i keep it or will it be taken?

Options
nonnasway
nonnasway Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been on SSDI for years n I want to know if I inherit money will I get to keep the money or will SSDI take it from me?

Comments

• nonnasway
    nonnasway Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have been on SSDI for years n I want to know if I inherit money will I get to keep the money or will SSDI take it from me?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Options
    @Username_removed It comes up as "social security disability insurance" on Google.
  • mendipmark
    mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    Under uk law it depends how much you get. Under about 16k you keep. Ovet and you may be subject to a reduction or stoppage until you hit 16k so keep everything in a seperate account. It will affect housing and council tax unless you serve a notice that you intend to spend it on a house or a share of a house. If this is the case you need cab benefits advice. It gives you 6 months to find and start buying the house. Ive done this and your council will need advice on this as they have poor trained staff. Be prepared for a fight
  • mendipmark
    mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    I did inherit 7 years ago. The uk doesnt take however tries to withdraw some benefits until it reduces to the right level. We used the law to protect my inheritance from the council. Hence what I said. The effect is the same. Americans should not be helped by Scope really.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.