Joint ESA and partner leaving — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint ESA and partner leaving

carlyyjayyne
carlyyjayyne Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I don’t know if anyone has been in the situation and could help. 
At the moment myself and my partner are receiving support group esa (i am the less abled)
Things aren’t going great - maybe more stress than it’s worth and I’m considering leaving. 
Does anyone know if - would I automatically go onto single rate support group esa? and if moved over to UC would I go straight to support rate rate? 
Hope this makes sense, thank you in advance for any help.
i have spoken to citizens advice but they were very vague on what may happen 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you claiming tax credits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carlyyjayyne
    Yes I have an 8 year old so get child tax credits 
  • poppy123456
    As you're claiming tax credits as a couple then this will be classed as a change of circumstances and will mean you'll need to claim UC because you won't be able to make a single claim for tax credits. All areas are now a full UC area Claiming UC will mean your ESA, tax credits and any housing benefit claim you have will move across to UC.

Do be aware that there's at least a 5 week wait for your first UC payment. Once you claim UC then your ESA will stop, you'll have a 2 week run on of housing benefit and then it will transfer to UC.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed separately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • carlyyjayyne
    Thanks for the reply. Does this mean I will then go back to standard rate disability? then get re assessed? 
  • poppy123456
    No, UC should honour your ESA support group and place you into the LCWRA group. Once you claim UC then you'll need to make sure they know you were in the support group for ESA. However, they can re-assess you at anytime just like ESA.

For your rent if you're renting privately then you'll need your tenancy agreement to be able to claim the housing element of UC. This isn't needed if you rent from social housing. I would also mention to your landlord that you're moving to UC just in case there's a delay with your first payment as sometimes this can happen.

Once you claim UC any tax credits/ESA you receive after you apply for UC will be deducted from your first UC payment.
  • carlyyjayyne
    okay thank you, it’s slowly starting to make sense. Seems like such a scary process to go through
  • poppy123456
    No worries. Yes UC is horrendous. Good luck.
  • carlyyjayyne
    Thank you so much! feel like I need all the luck I can get 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.