Home Unsuitable - Rehousing Advice Needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home Unsuitable - Rehousing Advice Needed

happy91
happy91 Community member Posts: 101 Pioneering
Hi all, I've been having pest issues in my accomodation and it's highlighted to me I need more support where I live. Even when there is not a problem, I'm physically having to check everywhere in my home for pests. It's not something I can do on my own. I have a physical disability with my knees which gives me pain from standing and walking. I need my own space and love having a flat yet it is impractical and I need more support.

How would I go about this? Is it a homelessness application? My housing is not fit for purpose. Help and thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not a homeless application you need because you're not homeless. Are you living in social housing or private?

For more support because of your disability you can self refer to your local council for a needs assessment. It may take a few months, depending on the waiting list in your area but an Occupational Therapist will come to you and assess your needs.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I see by your other thread that it's a housing association property. You need to get in contact with them to sort your issues out with the pests as they are your landlord.

The other alternative to your problems would be to find a privately rented property but that won't be easy because very few landlords will rent to those claiming benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happy91

Can I ask what type of tenancy you currently have, and with who, sorry but reading through your posts this is not clear.

As I have explained because the freeholder is a housing association does not automatically mean you are a social housing tenant. You need to be clear if your tenancy is with the housing association or the charity - as you mentioned you need to be a customer of the charity to be able to live in the property.

It would also help you if you have a clear understanding of what sort of extra support you need. For example, if your needs could be met within general needs housing or if you would be better off in supported housing. 

If, as you  have said, you do have a housing association tenancy then you can speak to them regarding a transfer, though it will likely be within the general need stock and you would then have to try and get the extra support you need. 

This is a discussion you need to have with a housing advisor, like scope.

@Debbie_Scope any further advice?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness