PIP questions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP questions

Options
sparkle1959
sparkle1959 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I’m a newbie! I’ve got fibromyalgia. Plus last year suffered a trauma end of Januyand had a fractured neck of femur and needed a total hip replacement. Only 59! Also have osteopenia, severe osteoarthritis, hearing problems so most of my problems are invisible. Still trying to get properly
mobile since my hip operation, have now found out I have a torn meniscus in same leg s hip replacement. Trying to see if I qualify for pip now.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sparkle1959 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  I am one of the team of community champions. Who advise and help, guide new members who are joining.

Have a look at our on line benefit checker to see some idea of what benefits your entitled to.

You can also find out more information about benefits on our website.

Citizen's Advice have a question by question guide to filling in a PIP claim Form.

I would also advise speaking to your local CAB office for further information.  

Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

We are friendly. Supportive, care and share.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • sparkle1959
    Options
    Thank you, thespiceman. I shall take a look at your recommendations.
  • sparkle1959
    Options
    Thank you, thespiceman. I shall take a look at your recommendations.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sparkle1959 welcome to the community,!

Sorry to hear about what you have been through, do let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • sparkle1959
    Options
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sparkle1959

Good Morning & Welcome ??

I am one of the “Community Champion’s” here on our Community/site.

I would be very happy in helping you with this if required?????

@steve52

• sparkle1959
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    that’s very kind of you, thank you.
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @sparkle1959

That’s no probs it’s my Pleasure ????

Please please let me know how I can help/support you????
  • sparkle1959
    Options
    Hi Steve51,
    would you know about attending face to face PIP interview, place is too far away for me to go, can I get a home visit?  Do you know if that would be hard to get them to do? Thanks.
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @sparkle1959

Yes here’s some info on Pip f2f.

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

Please have a good look ? through the above info & please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with????

Yes you can ask for a home visit !!!!!

Please please let me know how you get on & I will see what I can do?????

@steve51

• sparkle1959
    Options
    You’re so kind, thank you.
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @sparkle1959

That’s my Pleasure ?

Please please get back with if you have anymore problems !!!!

@steve51
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Steve51,
    would you know about attending face to face PIP interview, place is too far away for me to go, can I get a home visit?  Do you know if that would be hard to get them to do? Thanks.
    Generally you will need a specific letter from your GP stating that you cannot attend and why. There is no room for ambiguity. Do you attend appointments , go shopping ? etc.The DWP may try and use these things as a reason to refuse your request
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sparkle1959
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    see if you can give me some advice. I had an appointment from the DWP to attend a face to face interview in regard to a pip assessment, the place they wanted me to attend was in Kent and I live in Essex. I telephoned them and said I couldn’t get there because I don’t drive and where I had a trauma and sustained a neck of femur fracture I ended up having to have a total hip replacement on the left side last January and my muscles are very weak and deconditioned in my left leg and I’m having ongoing physio to treat that, plus I’m still experiencing pain in my hip for which I’m awaiting steroid injections, I also have severe osteoarthritis and a torn meniscus in my left knee, for which I’m awaiting an operation, hence I have some mobility problems; I requested a home visit, they asked me if I go out, I said only when I need to attend appointments at hospital etc. They said because I can go out I’d have to attend a centre. They then gave me a list of centres in Essex which are a bit nearer but still a distance away, they said I’d have to get a taxi and claim the money back if I had problems getting there. I’m frightened that I might fall since my leg is weaker on that side. I have a recent letter from my doctor to that effect attaching a letter of the Physiotherapist’s report too. The appointment is for next Wednesday, which they wouldn’t cancel until I tell them which centre I can attend.
    I've never claimed any benefits in my life, I feel so disheartened that I feel like giving up before I’ve started. (I might add that I’m in an abusive (emotional)  abusive marriage, so no support forthcoming from anyone.
    what's the best thing to do? Get a taxi to attend the centre or try ringing again asking for a home visit?
    any advice would be welcome. Many thanks.
  • miilreef
    miilreef Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Hi there. 
    If going to unfamiliar places unaccompanied is an issue for you then it’s reasonable to request a home assessment again but it has to be very clear why you cannot attend an assessment centre and you would need something from your GP that supports this.
    Getting there is only half of it, you have to get home again as well and if it’s not safe for you to do this alone it’s perfectly reasonable to request a home visit if no assistance is available for you. 
    Good luck.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sometimes a letter from your GP won't help. Especially if you attend all of your other appointments, then they will tell you, you can attend the assessment centre, which they already have. You can try requesting a home assessment under the RA 2010 but even this may not help because you attend other appointments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Options
    I was happy to attend a centre for assessment and I do travel on my own so that wasn't an issue.  I politely wrote on my form that could they provide me with the fire evacuation plans for the building and for those unable to use stairs as I would be attending on a mobility scooter.  This happens every time I check in to a building and usually isn't a problem.  However the letter I received for an assessment had them seeing me at home!  Perhaps checking for their procedures and support if there were an emergency might make them consider your suitability for a centre?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.