Can I take notes into PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I take notes into PIP assessment?

Jade08
Jade08 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I’m new to this PIP.
Please help I have my assessment next Thursday. 

Can i take notes in..?
 I have mobility problem due to severe asthma but also I suffer from raynauds and rheumatoid arthritis. I have made notes all week so I don’t forget. is it okay for me to take them to my assessment. thank you in advance.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jade08 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, inform and advise new members who join.

Thank you for your question. You should have received with the assessment letter a booklet explaining what you need to take to the assessment.

What is required of you and of them. 

If notes helps you take them in and use them.  Please can I ask do you have support for the day.? This could include a friend or a support or health worker. Or some one who knows you well.

Other information to bring care plans, prescription lists, reports, information from your Doctors.  Also health workers, social workers. Any reports.

Please do not worry we are here as a community to support you. Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Wish you the best for a positive outcome..

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Yes you can take notes in to read but look at all the PIP descriptors that you think you should get points for and write down how your disability affects you carrying these out  this is what will get you points not how many conditions you have got or how much medication you are on.
    Good luck
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Jade08!
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    You can take notes in.

I took a folder with a page for each of their descriptors and I tried to refer to this during the assessment.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's certainly no harm in taking those notes in with you but there may not be any time to refer to them. I'd advise you to take a look at those notes the night before your assessment just to remind yourself, just i case there's no time on the day. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you can take notes with you but beware. Depending on the reasons for your claim, the assessor will see how you handle anything you have with you ie. turning pages and dexterity. The assessor will be watching everything you do, sitting, standing, taking off a coat and putting on again and anything you carry
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Yes you can take notes with you but beware. Depending on the reasons for your claim, the assessor will see how you handle anything you have with you ie. turning pages and dexterity. The assessor will be watching everything you do, sitting, standing, taking off a coat and putting on again and anything you carry
    Absolutely. I took my appointment papers with me as well as the ID that they wanted to see and had it in my hand all of the time throughout the assessment.

The assessor noted this and said that I was holding and referring to these documents throughout the assessment process - load of rubbish really - who would want to keep looking at their passport and appointment letter?
    They used that as an excuse to say that there were no mental health problems, that my eyesight was perfect, I was able to leaf through the documents with ease etc.

Goodness knows what they would have made of it if I had have turned up with a copy of the claim form, of the evidence submitted and notes.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Agree. A few years ago i went for an assessment and in the report is was noted that i went into my bag to get some evidence i wanted to hand in. It didn't go against me, thankfully but i know it goes against some people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • telscope
    telscope Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    I took notes when I got assessed. It help me to look into what I was getting told, in case I forgot.
  • Jade08
    Jade08 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    thank you everyone... im so nervous 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.