Reclaim ESA — Scope | Disability forum

Reclaim ESA

I was awarded work related ESA but that finished as it only lasts for 1 year ! I have worsened since then and have a new illness diagnosed , Do I ring up and ask for a claim form ? I have chronic knee pain which I got esa for before , I’ve now got fibromyalgia  and awaiting appointment at chest pain clinic ? . It’s never ending at moment !! 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,511 Disability Gamechanger

    claiming New style Contributions based ESA will depend on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years and for this year it's 2016-2017, 2017-2018. If you haven't worked and paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you won't be able to re-claim. When was the last time you worked?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,511 Disability Gamechanger
    Having said that, have you looked at the Support Group descriptors? If any of those apply to you then it maybe worth putting in a change of circumstances for worsening condition for your existing claim. If you were placed into the Support Group then Contributions based ESA is paid for as long as you remain in that group.

    Your claim shouldn't have closed completely, they should still be paying your NI credits towards your state pension which means your claim is still active.

    If you did qualify for a new claim with those NI contributions and you were placed again into the WRAG then you'll be faced with the same problem again.

    Before doing anything you really do need to get some face to face advice from welfare rights or a law centre near you.

    See support group descriptors here


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.