The dreaded letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The dreaded letter

McCann
McCann Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just got the dreaded letter on behalf of my 16 year old daughter inviting us to apply for PIP. It states we need to apply by Feb 2nd. Does anyone know does that mean just the initial.application to be requested by then or do they need a completed application by that date? Also could anyone hazard a guess as to how long this whole process will take? We are currently receiving DLA so I believe that will continue regardless until this is all sorted out. Thanks in advance

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @McCann

Welcome it's great to meet you today ? ? ? ? ?

We have got some info on "PIP" for you below.

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip&index_url=https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

Yes I believe that you need to return the "Form" by then.

Will you be filling out the "FORM" yourself????

Both "dla & pip" are completely different and many members have been cought out meaning. 

"0 Points"

No Benefit!!!!!!!

@steve51
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @McCann, and a warm welcome to the community!

Wishing you all the best for your daughter's PIP application. I believe the completed form will need to be returned by that date, but hopefully our other community members can clarify this.

Unfortunately, the waiting times vary hugely according to location and so it's impossible to predict what the timeframe may be. However, once you've submitted your application, you may be able to call your local service and ask whether they can give you an indication of the wait time. Please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

That date in the letter means that you'll need to ring the PIP helpline to start the application no later than that date. Are you her appointee? If so then you can ring PIP on her behalf, if not then she'll need to do this.

Once that application has started they will send out the PIP2 form, which will need to be completed and returned by the date stated on the letter that comes with the form. You can ring PIP to extend this time by 14 days.

When filling in the form you need to put as much information as possible about how her conditions affect her ability to carry out the descriptors that apply to her.  Giving 2-3 examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies. Use extra paper for this because there's very limited space.

Send evidence to support the claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on the claimant to make sure it's sent to support a claim. When starting the application off you can ask for her DLA file to be used as evidence.

Expect a face to face assessment as most people have them. If the application is made within the time and the forms are received by the deadline then her DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP.

Taking a look at the PIP descriptors and what they mean will help.

There's no timescales to how long this will take, it depends on backlog in your area. Some wait weeks for the assessment and other wait months. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.