What happens after you win a tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens after you win a tribunal?

Options
briancharles5612
briancharles5612 Community member Posts: 58 Connected
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Sorry, know I’ve had a couple of posts, but wanted to check what happens when you win a DLA appeal. Our claim date (and on the Judges paperwork) is the start of November 2017. We are entitled to the following at middle rate:

1). Care component.

2). Carers.

3). Increased tax credit.

Are all of those supposed to kick in from November 2017 or is it that even though no fault of our own they are only backdated 3 months or not at all.

And who does this? Is this the DWP or do we need to phone some of these?

Thanks

Comments

• briancharles5612
    Options
    Any help appreciated as we’re very confused as to what happens next 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    The DLA is backdated to the start of the claim and not just 3 months.

Carers allowance needs to be claimed and you can do this online, which is the quickest way but you need to wait until payments start. Once you claim it can also take 8 weeks for payments, depending on what other benefits, if any you claim.

Payment of the DLA can take 8 weeks to start and for back dated money to be paid after a Tribunal win.

You need to contact HMRC about the tax credits, once payments start and you must do this within 3 months of the date of the decision, it's then backdated to the start of the award. It can take anything up to 12 weeks for extra payments in your tax credits to start, it did with me when i applied for this.

No need to contact DWP about payments, they will be in contact with you. They have 1 month to request the statement of reasons.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • briancharles5612
    Options
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi,
    Carers allowance needs to be claimed and you can do this online, which is the quickest way but you need to wait until payments start. Once you claim it can also take 8 weeks for payments, depending on what other benefits, if any you claim.
    To maximise any carers premiums or awards you should always make the claim within 3 months of the DLA/PIP decision being made.
  • briancharles5612
    Options
    That’s great thank you very much for your help :)
  • briancharles5612
    Options
    My other half’s spoken to tax credits. They are back dating 3 months. Does everything else get picked up after the DWP decision to pay etc?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm surprised that tax credits have agreed this as payment hasn't be confirmed yet. Tax credits should be backdated to the start of the award and not for just 3 months. Carers allowance needs to be claimed again and this can be done online.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • briancharles5612
    Options
    I know I was surprised as well 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.