Have you been reassessed a year early for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you been reassessed a year early for PIP?

longjohn
longjohn Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello Everyone, Found the site whilest looking to see if other people were being re assesed a year early for PIP, it seems so, I wonder if they think my limbs have grown back this year, oh how I wish ? I hope everyones New Year is as Happy as it Can Be ☺☺☺

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi longjohn and welcome

It is DWP common practice to reassess a year early. When you receive a new decision that will supercede your current award
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Did you ever get the actual assessor's report?  It is usual practice for the DWP to add a year to the assessor's recommendation.  They then effectively take it off again when they send out the reassessment form.  I really think they could relieve a lot of stress if they were clearer with the wording in the first place!
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Probably just a misunderstanding here Mike.  My wording not being any clearer than the DWP's.

Assessor says review after 2 years.

Award given for 3 years but with review after 2 years.

The award end date looks as though it is a year longer than the assessor's recommendation although it isn't really.

• Orchid22
    Orchid22 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hi i am feeling really stressed and worried have to attend a pip assessment i did attend an ESA assessment three times before and each time my money was stopped i do not no why i had it sorted out three times by winning my tribunal i really do feel i cannot cope with going through this all again i also have another dreaded assessment with ESA coming up soon also 
  • Orchid22
    I just feel so nervous and unsure i forget things that i should say etc i really do feel i cannot cope going through this all again in such a short space of time
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately PIP and ESA are different benefits and claiming one doesn't mean you qualify automatically for the other.

Did you send evidence to support your claim for both? They very rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

During the assessment you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you. You'll be watched from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. You can take someone with you to support you on the day but you'll need to answer all questions yourself, unless you have an appointee. Sometimes the HCP will allow the person with you to prompt you but this doesn't always happen.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Sometimes the HCP will allow the person with you to prompt you but this doesn't always happen.

Good luck.
    Absolutely, the assessment is directly between the assessor, the claimant or the appointee as you say.
    It is not for others to intervene. The assessor will be well within her/his rights to object to a 2nd person to interject during the examination. It is also up to the assessor solely to refuse to hear any additional comments from anyone else at the end of the assessment. In fact the assessor can either stop the assessment if someone else keeps interrupting or have that person ejected from the room.

• Orchid22
    Thank you for that poppy
  • Orchid22
    Are they being reassessed early because some people was paid the wrong amount of money and have been for a while 
  • poppy123456
    It's got nothing to do with being paid the wrong amount of money. PIP has always been reviewed 1 year before the award is due to end, unless you're award by a Tribunal and then DWP contact you 14 weeks before the award is due to end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gillybean
    gillybean Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi all
    I was awarded PIP in March 2018 until March 2020 but then received a form for a review a year early. I went to the face to face assessment today and asked why I was having this a year early. She said that I shouldn't be and wasn't sure, so rang her boss. The answer for hilarious!! Apparently they have so much case load now that if they waited until next year they wouldn't be able to cope with the amount of work so some people are being seen a year early but it's basically a completely fresh claim!!! I'm outraged that we are being put through this every year because of "their workload ". It's bad enough having to deal with my every day problems without having to worry about this year in, year out. I've told them my condition isn't going to change every year!!
  • poppy123456
    gillybean said:
    Hi all
    I was awarded PIP in March 2018 until March 2020 but then received a form for a review a year early. I went to the face to face assessment today and asked why I was having this a year early. She said that I shouldn't be and wasn't sure, so rang her boss. The answer for hilarious!! Apparently they have so much case load now that if they waited until next year they wouldn't be able to cope with the amount of work so some people are being seen a year early but it's basically a completely fresh claim!!! I'm outraged that we are being put through this every year because of "their workload ". It's bad enough having to deal with my every day problems without having to worry about this year in, year out. I've told them my condition isn't going to change every year!!
    Hi,

Since PIP was introduced in April 2013 reviews have always taken place 1 year before the award is due to end.

Once the decision is made if you're awarded then you'll have a new award date. If you're not awarded then your payments will stop, regardless of your current award not ending until 2020. This is because the new decision overrules the previous one.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Ah this explains the 2.5 years on the aware but the 18 months on the report. 
  • pcoventry
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @gillybean and welcome to the community. :)

I hope your assessment wasn't too stressful yesterday and that they get back to you with a decision soon. Don't forget if you can call them in around a week and ask for a copy of the assessment report which will give you a good indication of what your award is likely to be. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pcoventry
    they didn't get mine back for 2.5 weeks and that was recent :(
  • gillybean
    Thanks for your replies. I still think the whole system is inadequate and stressful. It's a disgrace that I have to go through the same thing every year and have to relive the nightmare experience that left me in this position of having to claim PIP. ???
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm sorry it's so stressful @gillybean, but you are in good company as a lot of our members can relate. I hope the outcome is what you're looking for, but if it's not, please remember we're here to support you and let us know how it goes either way. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gillybean
    I'm sorry it's so stressful @gillybean, but you are in good company as a lot of our members can relate. I hope the outcome is what you're looking for, but if it's not, please remember we're here to support you and let us know how it goes either way. :smile:
    Thanks for that it's good to know there are people I can talk to. I've had my life turned upside down after I went in for a routine gynae op which should of been a day procedure. Due to their negligence they burst my womb, burnt large parts of my bowel with the machine they were using and I've had 5 major surgeries including a full hysterectomy and have ended up with a colostomy!! I have so much pain every day sometimes I wonder will I ever get better. Sorry if this is long winded ??
  • Adrian_Scope
    Please don't apologise. It's not long winded at all. Your experience sounds awful and really traumatic. I'm so sorry. Are you getting any help with the pain at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.