Work related issues and celebs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work related issues and celebs

Options
jonny1
jonny1 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
just interested that it seems a bit more highlighted  this year  by disabled celebrity’s 2018 .but being disabled my self I’ve never had that kind of support especially in work ,I’ve had a bit of support such as personal independence payment as a benefit  ,but my biggest problem was work .i worked for the local goverment and they were aware of my muscular dystrophy some what 8 years ago but never had support from them

.just simple things like having a meeting if there was a manager appointed to look after any of my needs if and when I was struggling ,I was constantly explaining my self to the management that certain things I couldn’t do ,I was abused by supervisors real nasty coments made to me such as ,’what you need is a ******* robot to do the job for you ‘ as I was struggling because of my muscle wastage ,I even reported it to union unite rep and guess what nothing was done ,no grievance nothing at all ,all that was said was the supervisors flexing there muscles ,it was bulling and went on for some time .

i was even nearly begging them to give me a lighter job to do with less pay, but was told no,by the management .and to have the day off without pay .i was aloud time off to go to hospital but that was the same as any other employee  .i don’t believe the help is out their even when I asked unions to help,I never had any because the reps had let me down I was constantly being made to jump hurdles to even speak to people ,what a complete let down lucky for some !thats all I can say may be I’m not a celebrity 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us @jonny1, and I'm truly sorry to hear about your experiences. Employers have a duty to meet the news of their staff so I can only imagine how disheartening this must have been.

How are things at the moment? Do you still work for the same organisation?
  • jonny1
    Options
    No they finished me it was a lot easier for me to go then try and support me I suppose it doesn’t cost as much for the council and you get made to feel a hindere, so if that’s the level of support working at the local council god nows what support disabled people get working at private company ,like I says it’s a racket celebs with disabilities celebs stating the support and help they get , what a out out support zero ,just sounds good on the news 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I''m so sorry to hear this @jonny1. The current situation for working disabled people is disappointing in so many ways.

I'm not sure whether you're looking for work at the moment, but if you are then you may be interested in Scope's digital employment service, Support to Work. I hope you're doing as well as possible.
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    Options
    I had the same working for my local council. I had a major op and was left with an injury caused by the anaesthetist. It caused me to become depressed which their treatment of me added to.  Long story short but I struggled on for two years in my job until they medically discharged me. The union rep was no good either and he was sacked a few months after I was dismissed. They were always spouting off about their Health, Disability and Equalities Policies but never put them into practice. They even held an event on World Mental Health Day every year. It is a joke. I’ve head this happen so many times. 
    All councils must work together to achieve the same outcome of the way they treat their employees. 
  • jonny1
    Options
    It always it always looks good in the news paper ,”look what the council is doing we’re helding a mental health day or disability day’ it’s a farce they couldn’t care less it’s just because it’s law I’ve been there worn the t shirt what a racket ,I’m know concerned about our child tax credits I had them stopped as I earned a bit more when I was finished work which is understandble but don’t know what’s going to happen come April pretty worried and don’t know who to contact 

Brightness