Should I try reapplying for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I try reapplying for PIP?

Options
Sophiesmum2002
Sophiesmum2002 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I should try reapplying for PIP for myself as I have loads of health issues like my asthma, depression and mobility problems.
I have tried to claim it for my depression quite a few years ago, but was refused as I didn't have enough proof of my depression or something like that (I can't remember exactly what the reason was for me being refused before). I was thinking of reapplying for PIP for my mobility problems, but I wouldn't know how to get the proof I would need to help my claim as I have had X-rays done on my left knee and foot in the past and they came back clear.
I just don't know what to do as my fiance is thinking of reapplying for PIP himself for his dyslexia or his bad back (I'm not sure which or if he's thinking of applying for PIP for both of his conditions), but he's hoping that his mum will be able to go with him for his appointment as she's a community carer in and around the town we live in.
I won't have anyone other than my fiance to go to my appointment with if I did reapply for PIP.
I am so confused.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Having some understanding of what each descriptor means, will help. Filling out the forms with as much information about how your conditions affect you and giving 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

If you're refused then request the Mandatory reconsideration then Tribunal. To constantly re-apply using the same evidence as you previously used could see you being refused again.

This link may help you to understand the descriptors a little more.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I was thinking of reapplying for PIP for my mobility problems, but I wouldn't know how to get the proof I would need to help my claim as I have had X-rays done on my left knee and foot in the past and they came back clear.
    They assessed me for the mobility element of PIP (previously had DLA High Rate Mobility) They decided that I could walk at least 200 metres with no difficulty.
    I then produced a report from the spinal unit at the hospital which set out the mobility issues etc as well as the results of tests. One of those tests was on a walking machine which I fell off twice having only covering 10/15 metres. The consultant confirmed that that was the distance I could only walk safely.

The DWP then ignored the assessors opinion and went with my evidence - awarded Enhanced Mobility PIP. I never did get an explanation of why the assessor's report was so wrong other than being informed that it was simply an opinion that may be wrong or right who knows. 

As regards depression, asthma and pulmonary fibrosis that affects my life to a greater degree the assessor refused to accept all three on the basis that I was not under a consultant for any of them. So for those issues and impact I was on a losing streak to start with as they refused to accept that all three conditions didn't actually exist beyond getting stressed at times (as we all do) and the breathing difficulties were nothing more than the consequence of smoking and normal pollution.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.