PIP questions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP questions

Red1983dawn
Red1983dawn Community member Posts: 26 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had my pip f2f on the 31/12/18 and suffer from mental health issues and have 2*questions

1) how long should my  take decision take.

2) do the DM always go with what the assessor says even though he has contradicted themselves

Thanks for any replies and your time 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Red1983dawn, and a warm welcome to the community!

Hopefully some of our members will be in touch and able to advise, although it's impossible for anybody to predict what your decision will be. However, please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can. You may be interested in our other PIP discussions too!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It can take anything between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer for a decision.

Yes, they mostly go with the report, it's rare to go against it. You need to look at the boxes with dots or ticks next to them and compare those recommendations with the PIP descriptors. Add up those points to see what score, if anything was recommended. Use this to compare. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Red1983dawn
    Red1983dawn Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Will do and thanks but the assessor contradicted himself on the mobility point saying I need somebody with me but he then said I could do it unaided which confused me 
  • poppy123456
    It maybe different when you add the recommended points.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kazambo
    kazambo Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    I asked for my report which arrived today. On my walking she said I can walk to my car. I haven't got a car!!!!!. She said one of my medication was not on my prescription I explained that I need to ask Dr for it as he won't put it on script incase you are getting too much of it.   Also I don't get use of a nebuliser . I have my own!!!. Which she hadn't said either. It looks like my points will be low. Could I ask for a MR if my letter comes and it's not what I'm expecting please
  • poppy123456
    kazambo said:
    I asked for my report which arrived today. On my walking she said I can walk to my car. I haven't got a car!!!!!. She said one of my medication was not on my prescription I explained that I need to ask Dr for it as he won't put it on script incase you are getting too much of it.   Also I don't get use of a nebuliser . I have my own!!!. Which she hadn't said either. It looks like my points will be low. Could I ask for a MR if my letter comes and it's not what I'm expecting please
    Have you added up the recommended points in the report? Look for the dots and compare them against the PIP descriptors here. Once you've added then you'll know what you scored, if anything. This way you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be. Use the PIP self test here to add up those points.

• kazambo
    edited September 2019
    I did that yes and it's what I'm already getting. I did a change of circumstances as my conditions have got a lot worse. She also said I walked 10 meters at home but in fact it was 5
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kazambo, I'm sorry to hear this. It must be very frustrating! Will you be appealing the decision? 
    Scope

• kazambo
    Yes I will as soon as I get the letter. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    If you need any support with this then please do let us know! We have plenty of members who have been through the process. :)
    Scope

• Griff1963
    Griff1963 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I had my pip refused about 16 months ago because the assessor told numerous blatant lies in my report. (I have mental health issues) I also had an un successful MR because they believed what the assessor wrote. I am waiting on my appeal hearing. I got in touch with my MP and also made a formal complaint to ICE who are investigating my grievance. After 12 months of waiting the DWP wrote to my MP and told them that I should reapply for PIP. I did so and I have now been awarded PIP. I didn't have to have another f2f assessment as my Dr said it would be too stressful for me. I'm still waiting on my appeal for the 12 months I didn't receive PIP. Never give up! Best of wishes. 
  • kazambo
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @griff1963 - I believe that if you make a fresh claim for PIP then your payments start from the date of your claim? I don't believe that it will be backdated any further than that..

@poppy123456 will most likely know more accurately...
  • Griff1963
    You're getting it wrong mate. My appeal still holds from the date of my former claim. If it is successful, I will be paid from that date to the date of my new claim. Hope this is clearer for you. 
  • poppy123456
    Griff1963 said:
    You're getting it wrong mate. My appeal still holds from the date of my former claim. If it is successful, I will be paid from that date to the date of my new claim. Hope this is clearer for you. 
    That is correct but the new decision made on your new claim will overrule the decision made by the Tribunal.
  • Griff1963
    Now I'm confused! What is the point of having the appeal if that is the case poppy123456? DWP have told me that I am appealing the decision made 16 months ago. 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Griff1963 said:
    Now I'm confused! What is the point of having the appeal if that is the case poppy123456? DWP have told me that I am appealing the decision made 16 months ago. 
    I'm confused as well...asking you to re-apply must be a money saving tactic on behalf of DWP surely? Otherwise they could just carry out an MR and allow your original claim...
    Or maybe I'm just very suspicious...
  • poppy123456
    Griff1963 said:
    Your appeal is for that decision made at that time yes and any worsening of condition since the date of that decision will not be taken into consideration. If the Tribunal rule in your favour for that claim then you'll receive backdated money up until the date you started your new claim.

I don't know what award you have now but what ever that is, that will stay as it is because the decision made on that claim overrules the one the Tribunal will make.
  • Griff1963
    Thanks. Now it makes sense. 
  • Griff1963
    I don't know what my award is yet. I only have had a telephone call from the DWP to inform me that my application was successful. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.