Who makes the decision for pip claim? The atos assesor or DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who makes the decision for pip claim? The atos assesor or DWP?

Options
BeckiN
BeckiN Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, this is my first ever post! I had a f2f today with my 16yr old ASD/ADHD son. After appt before we left, the lady said that he will be reviewed in 2/3 years and you will hear from DWP in 4/6 weeks. And your money will be paid from when you put the forms in. Does this mean that she has already made the award decision or is it up to somebody else to do this please? Thank you in advance ?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, the acessment company are contracted by the DWP to access you in regard to the PIP descriptors and file a report which is sent to the decision maker at DWP who mostly go by the recommendations of the report in regards to awarding PIP. You can request a copy of your sons acessment report which can take up to 14 days to arrive once requested but others have receive theirs with in a week. On receiving it if you have not had your award letter you can work out what your sons award may should be but you have to wait for the award notification letter.
  • BeckiN
    BeckiN Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for the fast reply! I take it the assesor just tells everybody the same thing them. Like review in blah blah blah years etc and about waiting to hear from DWP also, and back dating claim. I’m not holding up high hopes, as even though the f2f seems to have gone quite well, I have read to many horror story’s and seen people put on here that they all have been turned down etc. So I’m assuming that’s going to be mostly the same in this situation I suppose. But everything happens for a reason so what will be will be, I like to keep busy ?
  • chockies
    chockies Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    edited January 2019
    Options
    When I went for mine the man told me that he is not the one who makes the decision.

On the letter I received about it, there was a name at the end of the decision, that is the decision maker.

It will be the same on a mandatory consideration letter too.

You might find keeping all of the names handy for if things do not go well.

Wishing you all of the best.

Chockies.
  • Jade08
    Jade08 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Hello, The assessors are the ones who advised the DWP what descriptors the customer meet because they are the professional  and DWP do not see customers. Good luck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.