Pip Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment

hl168
hl168 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi Everyone.

Anyone want to chat  or have a question i be very happy to talk to  people :smile:

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Are waiting for a PIP acessment or want to know about them .
  • dolly03
    dolly03 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Hi, 

I’m worrying about pip assessment for my daughter so all information would be gratefully recieved. 

When my daughter changed from dla to pip she was lucky enough not to have a face to face assessment.

It’s now time for a review. I sent off her review paper work and there is not really any change.

I recently had a conversation with a DWP nurse who asked some questions not all relevant to the pip criteria. She said that hopefully her report will be enough and I should here something within 6 weeks. I’ve now had a text saying there is assessment appointments available in my area so it is looking like it wasn’t enough and she will have an interview. 

Im dreading it because I know she will not cope with this very well and have heard so many horror stories about how they lie or twist things. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    There are a lot of bad stories yes but there's also good ones too, it's just we don't often hear about them, so i'll start the goods one's off.

I've had 3 assessments for PIP and 3 for ESA and i've never had a bad report for either of them. My last PIP assessment i went into the room and i was freezing because it was a really cold day. The HCP turned the heating up in the room for me. Then another assessment the HCP let me hold her arm while she helped me walk out to meet my daughter. I had to stop several times on the way but she kept telling me to take my time. I was asked questions about my conditions and how they affect me during the assessment. My shortest assessment was 10 minutes and my longest was 1 hour 10 min give or take. Truthful reports given for all. With awards for each. So it can and does happen.

If you are your daughters appointee then you will be able to speak on her behalf during the assessment. If you're not then she will need to answer the questions herself. You maybe able to prompt her but some won't allow this.

You can ring DWP about a week after the assessment to request a copy of the report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dolly03
    Thank you poppy12345, thanks for the advice. I’m glad your experience has gone well. 

Yes I am my daughter’s appointee. One of my worries is that my daughters disabilities you can not physically see. I sent in her EHC plan to show how she is supported and repeat prescription etc. I just don’t feel like they always read the paper work. 
  • poppy123456
    My daughter also has invisible conditions. I'm also going through a PIP review for her. Sent the forms back at beginning of November with evidence from the learning disabilities team, Care plan, ASD assessment report, i also added 2 -3 examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity when i filled out the forms. I've not heard anything yet. Good luck with yours.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dolly03
    Thank you. They wanted to receive my review paper work by November and I had a phone call 8 weeks later as explained earlier. Now looks like I might be taking her for her first assessment. Dreading it?. Has your daughter ever had a face to face interview? 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, she had a face to face assessment for her first claim. It was a home assessment. She sat in the chair the whole time and looked at the floor.

I'm her appointee and answered all the questions on her behalf. There were a few questions she was asked at the end, she was asked to add 2 numbers together,  then to spell a word backwards and also she was asked to repeat 3 words he said... this is the only thing that an appointee isn't allowed to answer. My daughter got all 3 questions wrong.

It was very stressful, but all assessments like this are very stressful.

Did you put as much information about how her conditions affect her on the form? Or did you just state there's been no change?
  • dolly03
    edited January 2019
    I wrote there is no change and then put as stated before she still needs support with ..... and how she is supported with that area. Her only change was medication for her depression and anxiety as the other medication wasn’t really working. I said that her anxiety seemed worse at the moment because of the changes in college she was finding hard to cope with. 

Glad your daughters first assessment went ok all though as you said very stressful. Some of the questions they asked your daughter seemed pointless compared to the pip criteria. Some ASD children are high functioning so would be able to answer some or all of those questions so I wonder what would happen then? 
  • hl168
    hl168 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Good Luck With Your Assessments

Dolly03

Poppy123456

I agree poppy 123456
    you hear a lot of scary  bad stories and  not much good stories.

They do and try  to trick you in some questions.

I was  lucky to had a  good assessment she was very honest with my points.

• IanYates65
    IanYates65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am bipolar, which has seen the end to my professional career.
    The first few years, when I rented out my home and lived at my mothers, I received full PIP. However, n 2015 I moved out, back to my house, but coincidentally, my PIP was reduced to the new lower rate, and I lost the mobility portion. Since then, life has been more of a struggle. 
    Last year, I went back to work, part time on the permitted work scheme.  This was good, and I had a very little spare cash (I have not taken up the new SMI yet)+ and pay my mortgage including interest myself from my pip and esa.)
    My job led to stress, which led to another "episode" and hospitalisation, not to mention writing off my beloved car, and so it seems that any satisfying work will be out of the question.
    I fell into areas on my mortgage this month for the first time.
    What are the chances of appealing for upper rate pip, and applying for SMI?
  • martina14
    martina14 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hey, who knows how much coke is on the tribunals

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.