Pip and mobility car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and mobility car

ducks72
ducks72 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
still waiting for my tribunal date and getting kind of worried as a friend with MS has just lost her tribunal and thinking ahead if I took my car back as the car has been extended till tribunal and bought a car then win my tribunal, do I have to accept my mobility car back? Any help would be gratefully appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No you wouldn't have to accept the car back. If you want to give the car back then you'll need to speak to motability.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Many are taking up this option and buying their own vehicle where previously they have had a Motability car.
    With PIP comes the regular reassessment that is unless you qualify for the 10 year award. With every reassessment comes the risk of losing the enhanced mobility element. The days of DLA are now gone where there was an almost certainty that you would not be reassessed especially having an indefinite award.
    For those who opted to buy and obtained the finance from Motability via Hire Purchase you were able to borrow without credit checks up to 3 times the total annual mobility award provided that the car was not more than 7 years old when the last instalment was paid.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    How disgracful that someone with MS can loose their pip.
    Theres something VERY sick going on
  • ducks72
    I completely agree they have no idea how badly they affect people’s lives it’s a shame. I suffer badly with severe Crohns can’t get it to go into remission but the assessor I had took no interest in any of my conditions made light of them all so feel like I have to go to tribunal and state my case, but this affects me badly with stress and anxiety same as my friend who has been fighting MS for 30 yrs it’s terrible 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. We are all affected differently by these conditions. What you need to do is write 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Good luck to those waiting for their hearing dates.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ducks72
    Thankyou I have with help from healthcare providers and support workers who have been beilliant fingers crossed for everyone waiting very stressful time for so many 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.