Transition onto UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transition onto UC

Options
kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
edited January 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
So if we choose ourselves to go onto UC will we still get transitional protection or is this only in the future when the government slowly migrates us over into UC from jsa and ESA? Very confused and just wondering about medical notes and so on

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

There's no transitional protection for anyone yet.

Are you claiming SDP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami24
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I thought so. This means that you won't be able to claim UC. New legislation was introduced on Monday 14th January saying that those that claim SDP will not be able to claim UC until the transitional protection is put into place. Information here in this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kami24
    Options
    Oh okay but if you change circumstances then obviously you go straight onto UC? 
  • kami24
    Options
    I just want to know if I move house etc or things like that 
  • kami24
    Options
    That's good about legislation because I know dwp wanted to get alot of us on sdp off of jsa and ESA onto UC before the law changed the guidelines 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kami24 said:
    Oh okay but if you change circumstances then obviously you go straight onto UC? 
    No, those that are claiming SDP will not be able to claim UC if they have a change of circumstances. If you move house then you'll claim housing benefit, just like you did before.

Those that aren't claiming SDP will have to claim UC if they have a change of circumstances that will prompt a move across.
  • kami24
    Options
    What about work ? 
  • kami24
    Options
    As I am on jsa they always want me to work etc but I guess I can get a medical note  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you claimed JSA you signed a claimant comment to looked for work because that's what JSA is. You can only claim JSA with a sick note for 13 weeks.

ESA is for those with a limited capability for work. Have you previously claimed this?
  • kami24
    Options
    No but I should have claimed ESA but I have about 28 jobs you see bpd instability and mood swings so can never work long term 
  • kami24
    Options
    Unfortunately could no longer claim ESA so stuck on jobseekers!! 
  • kami24
    Options
    UC replaced it 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kami24 said:
    Unfortunately could no longer claim ESA so stuck on jobseekers!! 
    That's not correct for you as i previously advised. Because you claim SDP then you won't be able to claim UC. This means you can claim ESA providing you haven't previously claim ESA and been found fit for work.

Please read the link i posted in an earlier comment.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The rules changed for those claiming SDP on Wednesday 16th January 2019.
  • kami24
    Options
    Income based? People seemed to think its only contribution based now when I ask
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes income based.  You're not understanding what i'm saying, please read back through this thread.

Those that care claiming SDP can not claim Universal credit, until transitional support protection starts. The reason you couldn't claim Income based ESA previously when you asked was because these new rules only came into affect on 16th January 2019. Please read this link.

This was taken from the above link.
    Restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability premium

4A.  No claim may be made for universal credit on or after 16th January 2019 by a single claimant who, or joint claimants either of whom—

(a)is, or has been within the past month, entitled to an award of an existing benefit that includes a severe disability premium;

• kami24
    Options
    Thankyou for that advice didn't know that about legislation. Very useful to know. I will read all thus through
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome. If you have never claimed ESA in the past and been found fit for work then it maybe worth you claiming this, especially if you're having difficulty looking for work. You'll need sick notes from your GP while you're on assessment rate.

If you do claim ESA then the money you'll receive would be less than on JSA because there's a disability premium paid on JSA that isn't paid on ESA, so do be aware of that.

• livonia
    livonia Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    Best thing for you to do, if you are able in my opinion is go to the citizens advice and get them to look in detail at what you ARE currently claiming and what you COULD claim.  also run by them if you think you are going to have a change in circumstances.  i find it difficult personally to express myself face to face so had until i moved used  a support worker as an advocate.

i would write down what you are needing to know in a list form.  one for where you are now, and one if you think you are going to have a change in circumstances. 

if you phone cab you could probably get an appointment pre booked rather than having to wait for hours..personally  i wouldn't make any decisions before you thoroughly understand the implications of anything. 

make sure  you ask if the cab are up to speed on the new legislation.  maybe take a print off if you have access to a printer.

last thing you want to do is do something that makes you worse off financially. also you don't want overpayments etc. 

take your benefit letters with you so you are completely sure what you ARE CURRENTLY claiming as it is complicated to know as the names of the benefits are very similiar.  are you sure you are on sdp ? there used to be an old benefit linked i think with dla - called sda .  

good luck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.