Parents, carers and disabled parents
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Power of attorney

alyssiamarie15alyssiamarie15 Member Posts: 1 Listener

my names michelle.  My son Jordan has a severe learning disability... need some advice about how to go about power of attorney and also not sure what it’s called but it’s the other legal thing to do with the medical side of things... and also wills and how to protect there money


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alyssiamarie15 welcome to the community! 

    Have you checked out the information in our 'Power of Attorney/Becoming an Appointee' and 'Will Trusts' section?

    Hope this helps, let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alyssiamarie15

    Welcome it’s great to meet you this evening.

    Yes my good friend @Ami2301 has given you some great advice and info.

    Please please let me know if I can help you further ??????

  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alyssiamarie15, and a warm welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

    Do have a look at the links provided above by Ami about power of attorney, as there's lots of useful information there. If you have any further questions, do come back to us and we'll do our best to advise. 

    You can apply for the right to deal with the welfare benefits of someone who cannot manage their own affairs because they are physically or mentally incapable of doing so themselves at that time.

    Power of attorney

    A lasting power of attorney is a legal document that lets you appoint people to make decisions on your behalf if you became unable to make your own decisions.

    You must be 18 or over and have the ability to make your own decisions when you make your lasting power of attorney. If you do not have mental capacity you may need a court-appointed deputy.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,089 Disability Gamechanger

    To apply for power of attorney your son must have a lack of mental capacity and you'll need proof he has this, rather than just your word for it. For this he will need a capacity assessment, if he hasn't already had one.

    Does your son have a social worker? If so then you need to speak to them about this because it's far too complicated to give advice on an internet forum.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • SteveESteveE Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Our son "lacks capacity" (or rather we lack the ability to understand him) and the "Lasting Power of Attorney" route has never been possible. It seems we could apply to the Court of Protection but the fees involved are just too high. There seems no waiver for parents. Which seems very unfair when the country expects us to provide 24/7/365 care for life absolutely free. Good luck in your case and I hope you get some positive results.
Sign in or join us to comment.