ESA and Disability Premium for my daughter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and Disability Premium for my daughter

layla53
layla53 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi, I'm posting on behalf of my daughter who suffers from ME and finds this sort of thing gives her extreme brain-fog!
We've just received the decision on her ESA review re the back-payments of IR ESA to add to her CB benefit. She has been awarded Enhanced Disability Premium, which I understand as she is in the Support Group. I also understand why she hasn't been awarded Severe DP because she lives with me.
However, according to all the info I can find, there is also a Disability Premium of £33.55 per week, which I also thought she might be entitled to. She meets the criteria shown on the gov.uk disability page. However, when I questioned this with the JobCentre plus, the chap I spoke to told me that there are now only 2 types of premium - Severe and Enhanced.  Can anyone tell me - is this right - as none of the websites I found are saying that. Very confused!
Would be so welcome for any advice! Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes the Job centre are correct with this. You read it incorrectly on the website. The disability premium you're talking about isn't paid to those claiming ESA, it's only payable for those claiming JSA and Income Support. Just like the Enhanced disability premium is only payable to those claiming ESA.

Taken from the link above.
    if you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you cannot get the disability premium, but you may still qualify for the severe and enhanced premiums.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • layla53
    layla53 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Thank you for the response - I have to say I still find the on-line info about this very misleading!!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    In the link i posted above under "what you'll get" it says this....
    If you get income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you cannot get the disability premium, but you may still qualify for the severe and enhanced premiums.

It's the same as the Enhanced disability premium, a person can't claim this if they claim JSA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.