Will Carers Allowance be backdated after PIP appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will Carers Allowance be backdated after PIP appeal?

dave5312345
dave5312345 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi im new to this my partners pip stoped on 29th of june 2018 and my  CA was and all. Won the tribunaral last tuesday i no the pip will be back dated to the 29th can any one tell me if the carrers allowance will be back dated to the 29th aswell has all i can see is something about 3 month backdate thank you any answers apreciated

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dave5312345

Welcome  to our online community/family.

Well Done For wining your “PIP” appeal.

Yes I do think that you will only get your carer’s backdated by 3mnts!!!!

Do you want me to get you some info confirming this??????

@steve51
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 do you know anything about this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi,

Were you awarded daily living part of PIP? If so then Carers allowance will be back dated to the date you qualified, providing it's claimed within 3 months of the PIP decision, You will need to wait for your payments to re-start before being able to claim it.

May i ask what other benefits you both receive?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dave5312345
    Some am saying 3 months they back date it but others am saying no its from the date it stoped because you am still careing for your partner im very confused any answers would help thanks 
  • dave5312345
    Yes she was awarded daily living allowance on pip and i was getting carers allowance
  • poppy123456
    It's backdated to the date she qualified for PIP, providing you claim within 3 months of the PIP award decision.

Do you both claim any other benefits like ESA? or Universal credit?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • dave5312345
  • poppy123456
    You'll receive £36 per week carers premium backdated and not the full amount of Carers Allowance. This is because you claim ESA and Carers allowance is deducted from the ESA £1 for £1.  Carers allowance then pay you the £64.30 per week. You will need to wait for DWP to agree with the PIP Tribunal decision before you can claim the Carers allowance.

It can take 8 weeks to receive backdated money for the PIP award and slightly longer for PIP payments to start back up.
  • dave5312345
    So i will not get the full carers allowance because we get esa 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, you will but it's deducted £1 for £1 from your ESA and because you're already claiming ESA you can't be paid the full carers allowance twice. You'll have £36 per week backdated to the start of the PIP award.
  • needham1973
    needham1973 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    How long does take you get first payment of Carers allowance
  • poppy123456
    Depends on backlog. Mine took 10 weeks.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @needham1973 and welcome to the community. How long have you been waiting? Hopefully it won't be too long. As Poppy said, it can vary depending on back log. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.